Sony A-290 Laptop vs iMac G5
Nov 16, 2004 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

drpje

New Head-Fier
I would like some advice from this forum. I currently own a 20" iMac G5.
I purchased the computer to use for audio among other things. As you may have heard there are fan noise problems with quite a few of these computers. I was one of the unlucky ones. The sound is like a dental drill and it gets louder with time. Having called Apple Technical Support several times there seems to be no sure fix for this problem. Some people have been sent new midplanes or PSU's with variable results. In some cases the problem got worse with the new parts. I am very frustrated with this problem and am thinking of selling my iMac and getting a Windows computer. I came across the Sony VAIO A-290 laptop with the 17" screen.
It seems to be a good computer especially the screen. The computer comes with an entertainment dock which has additional inputs and outputs,
cable TV input, digital output, and external speakers. With the Giga Pocket software you can watch and record TV. The computer has Bluetooth and WiFi built in. I currently own the Apple Airport Express for connecting my iMac to my home stereo. I also use the iTunes software. Both the Airport Express and iTunes will work with Windows. What do you think of the Sony A-290 to use for audio. At least it should be more quiet than the iMac.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back