Sony 888 vs. Etymotic 4p/s....
Dec 6, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 21
taking credit where credit is due, eh duncan?
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
taking credit where credit is due, eh duncan?
wink.gif

No No Red, The EX70 mod that myself and Vert did with sellotape was like V1.1

Your electrical?? tape mod was definetly an improvment... V2 I believe
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Kubernetes
There is a terrible problem with the Sony's--their midrange continues to develop with use until it's too "thick."

I had this exact same problem with my 888s as well. It's one of those 'phones that just seem to totally lose their treble after burn in, and long term use. The funny thing is I have two pairs of 888s, one is the SL version, the other the LP version, and they sound night and day different. I hardly used the SL, while the LP has been used for over 2 years and sounds very warm. The SL sounds very nicely balanced, but I can imagine that won't last too long if I used them any longer.

On the flip side, the MX500s seem to be a lot better at holding a more consistent character after burn in. I still think the 888s, even my overwarm LP pair, has better detail retrieval, but the MX500s come darn close to the 888's overall sound signature.

Sometimes I wonder if a fresh pair of foams can't help with this. I remember one day when I heard my MX500s, they sounded very warm. Swapping in a new pair of foams instantly cleaned up their highs.

Dec 6, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
No No Red, The EX70 mod that myself and Vert did with sellotape was like V1.1

Your electrical?? tape mod was definetly an improvment... V2 I believe
biggrin.gif

thanks
cool.gif
but i was talking about the e888 paper filter mod. i'm not surprised it had been done before. no biggie.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2002 at 10:11 AM Post #20 of 21
I loved my 888. I loved the 'thickness' of the mid-range the most. The treble sounded really smooth to me. The base was nice and tight and non-intrusive. It's possible that the Etymotic is too good... it doesn't satisfy since every sound is thinner than the 888 apart from the base (4P). I don't know... I think the 888 sounds better when you don't have knowledge of other headphones sounds.

Dec 7, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #21 of 21
I do prefer the 888 to the ER-6 for mobile listening, but that doesn't mean I really like them. I don't like the ER-6.

However, the ER-4S is another story. There's no question but that they sound amazing. I just refuse to use them for mobile listening because I fear in-ear phones with that level of high end in public transit situations. The 888 are open-ear and rather too thick and have slightly recessed highs. I trust their safety on a train before the ER line.

However: The best solution for safety is to wait until you can listen in relative quiet. In which case I'd probably *never* listen to my 888.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back