Sony 888 sound better than 4s Etys...
Apr 11, 2003 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

IXZ5P

New Head-Fier
I don't care what anybody says, I like the sony 888 20x more than I do the 4s. The sony is streamlined, while the Etys lack character... they(the 4s) are just even accross the frequency sound range. The sony is kind of compactified to the mid-range, while the Etys sound way too wide. I can really pick it up when I'm listening to 'What Time Is Love' by the KLF. The 'oohs' and ahhs' stand out more with the sony and the thickness in the mid-range make it much closer to audio Nirvana. The sony 888 is like the Michael Jordan of headphones. I'm going to go buy 2 tomorrow at the store.....

Apr 11, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 25
I'm almost inclined to agree with you...

I sold on the ETYs because they didn't have the sound that I wanted... then again, neither do the E888s...

Severe EQ'ing can get them almost there, but not quite
frown.gif

Then again, using my CD1700s out of my portable gear has biased my hearing severely
eek.gif

Apr 11, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by IXZ5P
I don't care what anybody says, I like the sony 888 20x more than I do the 4s. The sony is streamlined, while the Etys lack character... they(the 4s) are just even accross the frequency sound range. The sony is kind of compactified to the mid-range, while the Etys sound way too wide. I can really pick it up when I'm listening to 'What Time Is Love' by the KLF. The 'oohs' and ahhs' stand out more with the sony and the thickness in the mid-range make it much closer to audio Nirvana. The sony 888 is like the Michael Jordan of headphones. I'm going to go buy 2 tomorrow at the store.....

... ooh! ... ahh!

Remember.. amps do nothing, and therefore, the 4s does nothing.

Apr 11, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

The 'oohs' and ahhs' stand out more with the sony and the thickness in the mid-range make it much closer to audio Nirvana.

The band?

Apr 11, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I'm almost inclined to agree with you...

I sold on the ETYs because they didn't have the sound that I wanted... then again, neither do the E888s...

Another persons unwanted sound is another persons perfection. Thanks for the Ety's Duncan, they sound fantastic especially through my DAC+amp and new ER4P/S adapter from PinkFloyd. Will review the adapter at some point as it really is special (made from top components) and looks fantastic.

Wordsworth

Apr 11, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 25
If they sound good to you , they are good. Don't worry about what others say. When I did a test with MD players with a number of friends they preferred Koss Plugs to E888s while put tingEtys between them and I think they really did enjoy the sound of Plugs more than the other ones with the music of their choice. Coloured sound has its place and flat frequency of Etys can sound boring and too cold/analytical on many recordings and equipments.

Also in other forums I read there were numerous people noting their preference of B&O A8s over E888s so it's truly a matter of personal preference.

Apr 11, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

I'm sure that an amp would change this or the 4p.

Either way congratulations, you've just saved yourself $300! Try not to look down on the poor souls that prefer the mre costly cans.

Apr 11, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 25
Maybe you've got too much earwax clogged up in there.

It is sort of funny to read people who seem to really dislike their Ety's also having a lot of issues with earwax or hearing anything else for that matter. Not making fun of your medical condition, but maybe it really should be taken care of before you form your opinions.

From your previous posts you've complained about amps not doing anything, to thinking that your remote busts your Ety filters, to complaining about Earwax, and now talking about how 888's are 20x better and are the "Michael Jordan's" of headphones.

Its almost troll-like in absurdity, but who knows.

Course you've complained about the exact same thing months ago with the exact same song, even calling the Sony's crude oil and the Ety's water, but still liking the Sony's more.

rolleyes.gif

Apr 11, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim D
Maybe you've got too much earwax clogged up in there.

It is sort of funny to read people who seem to really dislike their Ety's also having a lot of issues with earwax or hearing anything else for that matter. Not making fun of your medical condition, but maybe it really should be taken care of before you form your opinions.

From your previous posts you've complained about amps not doing anything, to thinking that your remote busts your Ety filters, to complaining about Earwax, and now talking about how 888's are 20x better and are the "Michael Jordan's" of headphones.

Its almost troll-like in absurdity, but who knows.

Course you've complained about the exact same thing months ago with the exact same song, even calling the Sony's crude oil and the Ety's water, but still liking the Sony's more.

rolleyes.gif

Of course the poster can't possibly be right, now? How arrogant of you!

Apr 11, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
Of course the poster can't possibly be right, now? How arrogant of you!

I don't know if you're joking or not, but I've said it before, no I don't think everyone can be "right". And I'm sure I would be ill-suited as a grade school or elementary teacher in nurturing every child and patting every kid on the head saying "there there Ralph, as long as it is right to you thats all that matters".

That is just my opinion...but hey if you believe everyone in the world can be right in their opinions...than according to you I'm still right
tongue.gif

But no I happen to think that amps make a difference. I don't believe sticking your Ety's into a remote will bust the filters (I don't know what sort of causal reasoning comes up with that). And I happen to think having ear wax problems to the degree of needing medical intervention can impair hearing.

I'm not really arrogant...intolerant is a better word. And I'm not really criticising *this* thread as so much as it combined with his track record in case that wasn't obvious. I find his posting history questionable, but sure I suppose it is possible to post something almost a year apart commenting on the same phones with the same song in the same manner.

Apr 11, 2003 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 25
Mike: Right and wrong don't matter, it's his opinion. It's what he thinks sound better. Just don't expect any of us to take him seriously, though.

edit: he in reference to IXZ5P

Apr 11, 2003 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 25
The 888's are the premium earbud.

The ER-4S/P's are the premium canal phones.

They're designed for different purposes, and both do an excellent job. To each his/her own opinion......

I have them both.
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2003 at 1:37 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
The 888's are the premium earbud.

The ER-4S/P's are the premium canal phones.

They're designed for different purposes, and both do an excellent job. To each his/her own opinion......

I have them both.
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Have u ever tried the A8's? you're missing out if you think the sony's are any good... yeah sony make good products (to an extent) but only if you use them with other sony products.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 12, 2003 at 1:54 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Have u ever tried the A8's? you're missing out if you think the sony's are any good... yeah sony make good products (to an extent) but only if you use them with other sony products.

I don't know about that. I had a chance to hear A8s briefly. My feeling was that while these were much better than what they are given credit for, I don't know if they are really better than E888s. They had pronounced treble that wasn't very fatiguing and a pretty wide sound stage but I think I still much preferred guitar sound and vocal on E888s over A8s. Frankly I don't think A8s are worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back