sony 818 or ipod touch
Jan 15, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #16 of 51
i am just finishing a proper machine sound quality test just to see how d2, sony 615 and the touch compare. i haven't a splitter, so headphone driving will have to wait, but rest assured the differences between unloaded signals are nearly nothing. headphones, i would reckon the sony does better but not hugely and overall, the difference will be maybe bass depth after that... not much at all

Jan 15, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #17 of 51
I feel compelled to stick up for the Ipod Touch. This really is a remarkable machine and I personally think the sound quality is excellent when it's paired with the right phones.

Through the Etymotics the Touch sounds somewhat thing but through the Shure E500's it sounds remarkable - a definite match.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #19 of 51
well i like good sound.. so definitely.. i'll go with Sony....
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #20 of 51
The Sony all the way based on sound quality alone. It is one of the most impressive DAPs I have ever owned or tried, and I hate Sony for most products they manufacture.

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #22 of 51
If your looking for sound quality and volume go with the sony. Enable the dynamic normalizer and you will have plenty of volume.
I am using 3c3's and the only time I need to boost the volume is when I am riding the motorcycle.
PS DO NOT RIDE WITH ISOLATING HEADPHONES

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #23 of 51
I love my iTouch. Amped out of a headphone jack, it sounds very solid. I expect with a LOD it will be even better and sound as good if not better than the Sony.

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DominicKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about that tbh.

Does with my Triple Fi 10 Pro.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #29 of 51
well, unless someone can post proper measure of the ipod versus other players on the same hardware and then the hardware reviewed as well, we have no idea how it performs. other than that, it is just conjecture. the touch from all listening i have done is very near to my d2 but has a wider soundstage.

it may fall flat when compared to driving lower imp phones but that is the norm. my tests will not be finished till i buy leapard to run windows and rmaa. i will run everything through two soundcards: built in mbp and usb transit and then through rmaa - i have done this already before my usb fake driver failed and it showed the touch and d2 (clearly the favourite) to be identical from headphone and headphone with no loads. with headphones, i hope the d2 wins, if not - what a rubbish player full of just marketting

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #30 of 51
What has this thread got to do with the Cowon D2?
wink.gif

TBH I liked the Touch SQ, I didn't really think it was better or worse than the 5g ipod but to each their own.

Now regarding the A818, certainly it is the 2nd best midrange flash player currently in my possession - only beaten by the Cowon D2 - The A818 SQ is top notch, a little coloured but people seem to like it, it puts too much emphasis on bass which I do not like, I'm more into clean sound myself :> Disclaimer: These Are My opinions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back