sony 818 or ipod touch
Dec 10, 2007 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

muttyhc

New Head-Fier
so i've just picked up the sony nwz818b 8gb player but then the ipod touch 8gb came up for a good price at £169, the sony cost me £96, I have a few questions about both cause I haven't opened the sony yet.

How much better is the sony's sound over the touch? (i have read the touch's sound is comparable to the 80gb classic)

the touch has a few features I like, ofcourse the navigation system, wifi capability to view webpages and youtube is great though I'm unsure of how much use I will truly get out of either.

Generally what one should I hold onto? I primarily wanted an media player for music but having extra features isn't a bad thing and the extra cost isn't that bothersome for me.

what would you guys do?

cheers.

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 51
Sony will sound better when driving unamped headphones then iTouch, but iTouch is a far superior device if you're interesting in other functionality. If you're going to use an AMP with your setup get the iTouch.

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 51
I own Sony now. I compared both before buying. Same earphones (Shure SE310), same sound track, both unamped, Sony sound crushes the iPod Touch. Much much more detail and larger soundstage. Keep that Sony if sound is more important.

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 51
anymore views on which player? I've been using the sony and like it but the touch is tempting still. The problem being, if i open the touch i cant return it for my money back so i havent opened it yet.

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 51
I have the Sony NWZ-S616 and I had the ipod touch...the touch is monstrous compared to the Sony you have...to me way to big to carry around as an everyday MP3 player...Also if you hate being forced to use sofware just to load music on the player don't get the ipod. And the ipods are like a "vault" or a "locked chest"...it just gave me this unsatisfied feeling owning one. Like I wasted my money.
The Sony is perfect for music everyday listening....if you want something to watch videos on then go for the Cowon A3 or Q5 or the Archos 605.

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #7 of 51
Why do people say apple would be the ultimate choice if it was amped.

If the s616 is better unamped than the ipod, wouldnt s616 STILL be better WITH amp?

I say to the original poster : iphone>sony>touch

--I dont think its the AMP issue that would be the deciding factor to buy the touch over the sony. Heck Amps barely do much anyways but increase the volume on DAPs..

BUT, I am certain other people are referring to the Red Wine iMod and not amps in general if im not mistaken.
Thats an extra $249 Modification excluding the iTouch. Quite a big investment if youre going over to that route and is a no-brainer to keep the sony.

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 51
I don't think there's an iMod for the Touch...
I think the point is that the iPod's sound can be improved with a cable connecting the line-out from the iPod's docking port to an amp.

Anyway, I think the issue is: do you want a great (and small) music player, or do you want a device that does music, video, and wi-fi and is pretty good for all of them. Yeah, the Sony does video too but if I'm using it for video much, I'd sure rather watch video on the Touch's much larger screen.

I have the Sony A818, and I think it makes a great music player, which is what I really wanted. But if I wanted a video/music/wi-fi all-in-one device, then I probably would've gotten the Touch.

Dec 20, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowon_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Sony NWZ-S616 and I had the ipod touch...the touch is monstrous compared to the Sony you have...to me way to big to carry around as an everyday MP3 player...Also if you hate being forced to use sofware just to load music on the player don't get the ipod. And the ipods are like a "vault" or a "locked chest"...it just gave me this unsatisfied feeling owning one. Like I wasted my money.
The Sony is perfect for music everyday listening....if you want something to watch videos on then go for the Cowon A3 or Q5 or the Archos 605.

Same here. I had the iTouch for about a week. Even took it on a business trip between NY and Dallas to watch movies, listen to music, etc... I also used it in the office to listen to music while I work (which is better than trying to watch a video while I work ...), and the iTouch is just too freaking big and heavy for just playing music - monstrous is the right word for it.

Even for video, my work laptop is better for watching movies on a trip, as the iTouch was giving me serious eye strain pain after 1/2 hour or so, plus being so small a screen, you need to really hold it close, instead of being at arms length like a laptop.

The iTouch did not do anything perfect - it just did a bunch of cool/neat stuff half-way decently, plus it (like the Nano) has a HISS at idle unlike my new iAudio 7. I basically had no reason to keep the iTouch, so I returned it for a full refund
smily_headphones1.gif

Will

Dec 20, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 51
the touch is large for a music player. but the sony is not that small either. i have settled for ipod shuffle for music and touch for everything else and music when i am sitting down and listening.

recently, it seems that sony have developed a push pull system in their amp stage for portable players which is shared by very very few players (shuffle included (1g). sony have never sounded bad but other than maybe 3rd and 4th gen ipod, the ipod too has not been a poor sounding player. even those were on par for the time.

the touch is an incredible machine. i will have to listen again to the sony it is a nice machine. but if the soundstage is that much bigger, it might be very artificial. i have the meizu m6, the d2 from cowon and the itouch. the touch is my favourite of those large players. it has the largest soundstage of those three and if it gets much bigger it must be some sort of 3d staging.

the sony is on my list for a middle of the road player, when i want to go on a longer trip than my shuffle will allow for battery but i don't want to do anything but listen to music. cheers

Dec 20, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 51
They are both nice for different reasons, I myself would keep both because there both hella nice. But then again I have an unhealthy fascination with daps of all kinds
eek.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 51
Owned both... sold the touch.. kept the sony... the SQ is very very good. I did love the touch though, a bit on the biggish side considering it's capacity though... the Sony is nearly the perfect size for me.

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #15 of 51
Bought the touch over the weekend, but couldn't even use it...Vista x64.
frown.gif
Read up, bought the Sony 616, works fine in 64, sounds awesome, and I can run with it. Just need to find a good case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back