Sony 800ST / 7550 Tape Mod 2.0
Jul 29, 2019 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MONVMENTVM

100+ Head-Fier
So I've recently got me some of the legendary EX800ST and while I thought they possess a tight, controlled and detailed bass I also found they were a bit flat or analytical for some types of music for my liking. I knew about the tape mod before buying them and quickly decided to try it out as well... but the thing is they really turn into a bass monster. Not that they became dark or started lacking control or detail but they were very bass heavy for sure, especially with music that's already bass heavy and getting a bit tiresome to listen to for longer periods of time.

Another thing that bugged me was that I didn't have any electrical tape or similar laying around, with the normal tape not sticking properly and looking crappy. So while in the office (of course) I had an idea for an improved tape mod for these:

IMG_9282.jpg

Yeah, it's there... take a closer look!

IMG_9279.jpg

Pros:
  • barely visible
  • precisely adjustable sound signature (more on this down below)
  • theoretically less resonance than the big surface of the original tape probably vibrating with the bass
So what's interesting here is that I wanted them to provide me with a little more bass but not be quite as strong as the original tape mod. I cut a small strip of tape and placed it into the vent using very fine watchmaking tweezers. If you look closely you can see the vent consisting of 19 holes and my first iteration covered all but 4 holes, which I thought should in total let more air through than the original tape mod with one hole and thus be less intensive. Turns out that the bass seemed even stronger than with the original tape mod that way. I assume this has to do with the large surface of the original tape vibrating along with the bass and therefore absorbing at least some of energy and probably introducing some amount of resonance with it. Sticking a small piece of tape however directly to the grille will prevent it far more from acting similar to a larger membrane like the original mod. Therefore in order to get a slightly more modest bass increase I tried cutting the strips even narrower and ended up covering 10/19 holes. This for my taste and musical preferences provides the perfect bass response but you might want to experiment a little with wider and narrower strips.

Quick Instructions:
  • Cut a strip of tape of around 5-6 x 1-2mm (depending on what type of sound you want to achieve cut it either more towards 1mm to get a bit less bass or 2mm to get more bass)
  • Cut that strip in half so that it's around 2-3mm or so in length (the length is not as critical as the width though but do cut the longer strip in half in order to make sure that both strips are equally wide in the end)
  • Place the strips onto the grille using fine tweezers and gently press down so it sticks properly
EDIT: Forgot to add some impressions of how they sound now. The bass thumps and kicks hard when the songs requires it but never overwhelms the rest of the frequencies. On songs with originally little bass it stays that way without adding or coloring the sound artificially like some bass heavy IEMs do.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 11
Anybody give this a try yet? How are your results?

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm going to try this after giving them 24 hours or so to burn in (if they are anything like more commercial MDR's)

I am looking for similar results to what you describe

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 11
Let me know how it works out. They're still my favourite IEMs, highly highly underrated when modded like this. I'm actually thinking of grabbing another pair as a backup before they're impossible to get.

Edit: forgot to add... if you want another mod in combination with this, also take out the "ports". For more info read this thread from around page 13 onwards: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/review-sony-mdr-7550.679045/page-14

Looks like this:
10331702.jpg

I currently took off those ports but left the foam dampers inside (they dampen the brightness ever so slightly compared to taking them out while not really restricting the soundstage much and provide some protection against dirt as well) and of course the tape mod.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 11
Let me know how it works out. They're still my favourite IEMs, highly highly underrated when modded like this. I'm actually thinking of grabbing another pair as a backup before they're impossible to get.

Edit: forgot to add... if you want another mod in combination with this, also take out the "ports". For more info read this thread from around page 13 onwards: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/review-sony-mdr-7550.679045/page-14

Looks like this:
10331702.jpg
It was actually that post that made me look you up and how I found this thread. So far I've been messing around with EQ before applying anything irreversible.

I'm happy with the bass EQ I have for the moment, I've been ABing it with the Sony Clearbass I had on my NWZ A829 which I used through the latter part of my 20's (along with MDR EX300/500's). I have not heard a better more clear sounding bass boost that not only leaves the reverbs intact but remains fun. The bass drums and lower toms sound solid, and there is an emphasis on sub bass which vibrates the skull nicely through the silicon tips, all while having a minimal impact on the rest of the sound. I will most likely still try your method to see what it sounds like.

The treble interests me too, currently I have boosted 6KHz by 2db which does help the treble, but it is a tad artificial so maybe this is the solution. I hadn't seen the ports mentioned before so thank you.

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #6 of 11
Yeah removing the ports (essentially some thick foil/plastic glued on) really opens up the sound, increases soundstage, detail and treble (essentially what the EX1000 is all about). Unfortunately you can't really reverse it since the foil gets a bit destroyed, but then again you could probably do something like this on your own if you wanted to. However, in my opinion it is absolutely worth it as they add nothing to the sound but do remove quite a bit of it. I honestly believe they added them so they can sell a "cheaper" plastic EX1000, but had to make them sound different somehow so they don't kill the sales of the flagship.

The tape mod described at the top however is entirely reversible, so I wouldn't be afraid of experimenting here. Pretty sure you'll get better results than increasing the bass thorough EQ. Also depending on how much area you cover you can precisely tune the bass to the level you prefer. You don't _have_ to make them bass monsters. The level I have them right now is pretty much perfect... not anaemic like OG but not overpowering either.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 11
Wow, removing the ports really has unleashed the beast, you are right the treble is much improved.

I have detected some slight grainyness in one area but it's not as bad as it was. Before I could hear the grain all the time, but now it's only when certain cymbals are played. I'm a musician with experience in recording studios so I know how to fix these things with EQ.

I boosted a narrow frequency range and swept up and down until I found the troublesome frequency, then figured out if it needed boosting or cutting. In this case it needed boosting by 2db.

I found and corrected this fairly early on as I know how instruments, particularly in music I have listened to for years are supposed to sound, I then found another song that was affected and so I zoned in on that frequency, slightly widening the bandwidth of the initial EQ to cover it as they are so close together.

I'm going to keep listening and will update here if it changes but so far my findings are for those with a parametric EQ

Updated EQ:

Freq 3900
Gain 0.770
BW 1.0

Freq 6900
Gain 0.330
BW 0.75

What kind of tape did you use for your mod? I'll have to try it when I can find a fine enough tool and when I'm confident with my hands. I'd never make a watchmaker but my EQ skills aren't bad at all.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 11
Wow, removing the ports really has unleashed the beast, you are right the treble is much improved.

I have detected some slight grainyness in one area but it's not as bad as it was. Before I could hear the grain all the time, but now it's only when certain cymbals are played. I'm a musician with experience in recording studios so I know how to fix these things with EQ.

I boosted a narrow frequency range and swept up and down until I found the troublesome frequency, then figured out if it needed boosting or cutting. In this case it needed boosting by 2db.

I found and corrected this fairly early on as I know how instruments, particularly in music I have listened to for years are supposed to sound, I then found another song that was affected and so I zoned in on that frequency, slightly widening the bandwidth of the initial EQ to cover it as they are so close together.

I'm going to keep listening and will update here if it changes but so far my findings are for those with a parametric EQ or with something that can EQ close to 5.2Khz

5.2Khz
+2db
1.5 Bandwidth

What kind of tape did you use for your mod? I'll have to try it when I can find a fine enough tool and when I'm confident with my hands. I'd never make a watchmaker but my EQ skills aren't bad at all.
I remember the Sony's having some kind of a peak in some frequency band though I'd have to look it up. Was it maybe the 5k? Or 7k maybe? Not sure.

For the tape mod I've simply used a normal scotch tape (it doesn't really matter, it just has to stick and block the holes), cut up into a slim stripe between 1 and 2mm wide and then halved to get 2 equally wide strips of around 2-3mm length. Though length is less important really and you could maybe make them longer for testing purposes so you can maybe place it onto the grill without tweezers and remove it just as quickly by hand as well. I used a pair or really fine tweezers for watch making purposes (you can see the pointy ends in the pic where I pulled out the foam and ports) and while they are certainly helpful they are probably not absolutely necessary.

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 11
Well these are the graphs. removing the foam and the narrow hole will change the top end so it will need remeasuring
EX800ST-S2.jpg
I know with big phones, the top end can get all squiggly due to how your ears get in the way of the measurements, not sure if ear canals do something similar

Edit: It's possible mine need more burn in

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #10 of 11
Well these are the graphs. removing the foam and the narrow hole will change the top end so it will need remeasuring
EX800ST-S2.jpgI know with big phones, the top end can get all squiggly due to how your ears get in the way of the measurements, not sure if ear canals do something similar

Edit: It's possible mine need more burn in

Oh yeah I meant that peak at 5.5k. Pretty sure removing the ports increases treble some more (including details, soundstage etc.) and the tape mod adds more bass depending on how much of the holes are covered, essentially giving a more V-shape to the sound. Sure it's less "flat" and neutral but hell is it fun to listen to on every type of genre I've thrown at them.

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #11 of 11
Oh yeah I meant that peak at 5.5k. Pretty sure removing the ports increases treble some more (including details, soundstage etc.) and the tape mod adds more bass depending on how much of the holes are covered, essentially giving a more V-shape to the sound. Sure it's less "flat" and neutral but hell is it fun to listen to on every type of genre I've thrown at them.
I've been thinking about what you said about that peak and figured I'd try eq-ing around it instead of adding to it, and sure enough cymbals now sound more natural and more varied in pitch. I'm going to adjust my original post to reflect that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back