Sony 7506/V6 questions :::
May 25, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 28
Thanks Duncan
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm trying my best not to give in to owning some of the more expensive headphones, but then again, I discovered that good sound doesn't have to be expensive. Although this forum certainly isn't helping me with keeping my wallet closed
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #17 of 28
Thanks for all that great info Bizz! The only problem now is when I can order it. Their offices are only open weekdays from 6am-2pm MY time (PST) and i have school! What shall I do!

May 28, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #19 of 28
May 29, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #23 of 28
form what ive read the 280's have a tighter, more accurate bass and all around sound, they also sound much more musical than the v6's too... but thats from what i read, im getting a pair from etronics soon and hoping they will suit me well

(they're also said to have a larger soundstage than the v6's)

May 29, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #25 of 28
Here is stymie miasma's post about how to put the beyer's on the v6's. There is a couple of things I don't get about it...
__________________________________________________ _
stymie miasma wrote:

1. Remove the old pleather pads from one ear cup at a time:

As this exposes the driver and all the bits, it is probably safer to do one ear cup at a time. I made the mistake of doing both at once and spent the rest of the procedure trying not to smash the delicate drive bits into the adjacent earcup
wink.gif

Removing the old pads is kinda like removing a bike tyre. It's hard to describe, but if you look closely you will see that the pads actually attach to the ear cups by wrapping themselves into a groove that runs the circumference of the ear cup. Simply using your fingers, you can gently yet firmly pull the "skirt" of the pleather pad out of this groove at one section and like a bike tyre, follow the pad around the circumference until the entire pad is removed.

2. Remove the foam driver cover from the pleather:

I found the easiest way to do this was to actually turn the pleather earpad 'inside out'. This exposes the junction of the foam driver cover and the pleather pad. You can either try prying/tearing these apart with your fingers (much like opening a packet of potato chips), or use a blunt instrument like a small metal nail file or similar.

The glue holding the driver cover to the pleather is actually quite strong, such that on one pad, it actually tore off a ring of pleather which I couldn't remove from the driver cover. The result was a driver cover with a nice oval-shaped ring of pleather!

One good thing though is that the actual driver cover, while being rather thin, actually seems to be quite robust. You do feel like it will tear during the separation, but if you are careful and patient, it holds up just fine.

3. Mate the driver cover with the Beyer pads:

Pretty simply, just align the driver cover inside the new Beyer pads. It's a little bit fiddly, especially if you are trying to hide that ring of pleather that remained from the old earpad! I don't think there is any need to re-glue the driver cover to the new earpad.

4. Graft the new Beyer pad/driver onto the earcup:

This is probably the hardest part, as the Beyer pads are a very tight fit, and you have to ensure that the driver cover doesn't get scrunched up in the process. In any case, the Beyer pads attach the same way as the Sony's, so you just have to get them neatly seated in the "earpad groove".

Once again, I think the bicycle tyre analogy is a good one. Start slowly and work your way around the entire ear cup. I found I had to use the small nail file to help 'lever' the "skirt" of the earpad into the "earpad-groove". I managed to avoid scratching anything in the process...but to be safe maybe opt for a plastic lever if required.

Having the second earpad still intact really helps at this point as you don't need to be concerned so much about bashing an exposed driver around!

5. Check to ensure the driver cover is seated properly:

Once the new pads are on, give the driver cover a quick check to ensure it hasn't bunched up or done something silly while you weren't watching. Mine weren't sitting entirely flush and had some small ripples in them, but you can simply straighten these out by pushing the driver covers into and under the velour pads.
__________________________________________________ __

Now I have a couple of questions.
In part 2, what is the foam driver cover exactly? If i take it off, can i ever put it back onto my stock pads and reuse?

I just ordered these just this morning and hoping they will come soon! I live in BC, Canada and don't know how long it will take..

May 29, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #26 of 28
Nifu:

When you are wearing your V6's, the foam driver cover is the piece of foam between your ears and the transducer (i.e. the foam that covers the driver
biggrin.gif
) If you take off the stock pads on your V6's, the driver cover is firmly glued to the pads. When you receive your Beyer pads, they won't have any foam covers. If you want to use the original foam cover with your Beyer pads, simply tear it off carefully from the stock pads.

If you wanted to, you can put the foam cover back on to the original stock pads with some glue.

Also, there is no need to glue the foam cover on to the Beyers. stymie miasma suggested to align the cover with the Beyer pads and then put the Beyers on. I personally found it easier to put the Beyers on the V6's first and then carefully insert the foam cover underneath the Beyers and over the transducer.

Hope you find this helpful,

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #28 of 28
You could also buy the foam driver cover for the DT250...don't know the part number, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back