Sony 222ES VERSUS Philips 963SA?
Nov 30, 2003 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
These seem to be the only SACD players available for $350 dollars.

Which, do you feel, should I get?

Thank you!

Nov 30, 2003 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 7
I went with the 222ES only with the intention of modding it. I am waiting for it to be modded right now
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2003 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Habib where are you getting your's from?

Nov 30, 2003 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 7
For what it’s worth, I had a chance to compare my friend’s Sony 222ES with my Philips 963SA on his $1600 B&W speakers earlier this month. He has the 222ES and asked me to bring down my 963SA for a comparison. The amp/pre-amp was by Rotel. We listened to SACDs most of the night.

The 963 seemed to have more extension in the treble. The Sony sounded a bit rolled-off up top in comparison. I like treble roll-off, however, so I preferred the Sony. The Sony also seemed to impart a slight grain around the vocals.

The biggest difference between the two units was in the lower midrange. The Sony made the B&Ws sound a bit hollow. The Philips seemed quite a bit fuller in the lower mids. Bass in both units seemed about the same.

Overall, the 963 sounded more linear, a bit smoother but, perhaps, a bit more fatiguing as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 7
I found one on audiogon. I got the chance to listen to a 963SA today at a meet. While I can't pin down exact differences like arnett did, I feel that they are about the same class of player. It comes down to what you want out of your player, dvd playback or changer. I will let you know once I get my modded unit back.

Dec 1, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 7
Here is another thread from audioasylum.com

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...es/158745.html

Allen Wright (http://www.vacuumstate.com/), who also does a lot of SACD mods, comments the 963
"We have a Philips 963 to an advanced stage - and it's sounding good. But it is a really cost cut device, electronically very advanced but everything inside (except the transport Alex likes so much) is seriously cheap!

To get it really good it would take a lot more work, starting with replacing the cheapo switched mode powersupply with a whole new analog one..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back