Sony 1000xm2 - Ambient Vs NC
Jan 5, 2018 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

payj

Head-Fier
Hello,

I just bought these and am curious on what the difference is on the "ambient" option and "Noise Cancellation" option when you press the button. When you hit it once it says "noise cancellation activated" hit it again and it says ambient activated" hit it again and it says "off"

When would I use one over the other?

Google Foo does not turn up much.

Thank you!

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you for the response! That makes sense. I played with it, and it still closed most voice out when activated BUT maybe that is where you are supposed to use the app to control the amount of "voice" you want to let in? The instructions do not say much in lamen terms.

To keep things simple I will just use ANC for now.

Anyone with a set of these - a chime in would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 6
I think ambient mode basically turns the closed headphones into open ones. It also works better when listening at lower volumes. I love these headphones BTW - they're great (but bloody expensive).

I also don't actually use the noise cancelling or ambient mode all that much.

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 6
Thank you for the replies guys!

I think I figured it out a bit more.

What it does is amplifies voices by a lot but keeps other sounds silent. It is JUST like electronic shooting muffs for shooting guns. The gun shot is quieter and so are some other sounds around you, but voices are amplified so you can talk while shooting. That option is designed so you can here what is going on around you in terms of announcements over an intercom or people talking at an airport for instance , but keep the sounds of lets say people rolling their luggage by silent.

Yes, I LOVE these too. The one feature I am loving most that no reviewer has mentioned is the fact you can cup the right muff and it activates the ambient feature full throttle and cuts out the music so you can talk with somebody if they need you or you need them without taking them off. Then when you are done listening/talking it goes back to ANC and brings the music volume back up to where you had it before. Basically you have super ears when doing it. This by itself should be a highly considered feature for anyone looking for commuter headsets that neither Bose, Senn, BW have to my knowledge.

Bottom line is the Sony is the best wireless ANC on the market with all its useful features. To add, my buddy has the QC35II and we turned up the music loud on the TV and tested both units ANC. The Sony was clearly quieter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back