Sonos vs. Squeezebox Duet
Oct 23, 2009 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SunWarrior

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Squeezebox Duet, with a coax cable feeding into my CIAudio DAC.

I'm quite happy with the Squeezebox, but I have the is-the-other-gizmo-better syndrome.

So, would a Sonos be better?

And if better, in what ways?

(I'd get a ZoneBridge to connect to my router, a ZonePlayer Z90 to connect to my DAC, and a CR200 Zone Controller to, I guess, control it all.)

All else would be the same: Apple Lossless music data streaming wirelessly from my Macintosh, same DAC, same amplifier, et cetera.

Opinionated experiences welcomed.

Dave, who wonders if the Sonos is better what quality would make it better

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 6
For me, there is no comparison: I much prefer the Sonos, but not only for musical reasons.

We have four computers using our home wireless network, and the Squeezebox had huge issues with latency, dropouts, etc. Because the Sonos sets up its own network, we have experienced no such problems.

Straight out of the box, the Sonos sounds a little hooded. An external DAC is going to provide huge benefits. I use a Cambridge Audio DACMagic.

Don't buy the Sonos controller. Buy an iPod Touch and use the Sonos controller app.

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by burnspbesq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, there is no comparison: I much prefer the Sonos, but not only for musical reasons.

We have four computers using our home wireless network, and the Squeezebox had huge issues with latency, dropouts, etc. Because the Sonos sets up its own network, we have experienced no such problems.

Straight out of the box, the Sonos sounds a little hooded. An external DAC is going to provide huge benefits. I use a Cambridge Audio DACMagic.

Don't buy the Sonos controller. Buy an iPod Touch and use the Sonos controller app.

Thanks for the perspective and suggestion about the iPod Touch.

The quality of the sound is paramount for me -- if different between the two, when used with the same DAC.

I'm sorry to hear you've had problems with latency and dropouts with the Squeezebox. I have that now, and with my relatively new Macintosh and fast WiFi, no real problems like that.

And I'm not looking for multi-room setups at this point. Just the router in one room streaming wirelessly to the stereo in another room.

So if the Sonos doesn't sound better than the Squeezebox Duet, then I'll stick with the Squeeze for now.

Dave, who will likely upgrade his DAC no matter which digital server setup he uses

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 6
Nov 22, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 6
Another consideration is both the Squeezebox Transporter and the soon-to-be-available Squeezebox Touch (not the Duet, unfortunately) will pass high resolution 24/96 files. The Duet and the Sonos system are limited to CD-quality 16/44. As for wifi conflicts, although the Sonos runs on it's own dedicated wifi system, I've solved any conflict problems with my Squeezebox setup by simply giving my Squeezebox server it's own dedicated 802.11 G router. Wifi routers are pretty cheap these days and for a few bucks, if you're running your music from a separate server or pc, just add a dedicated router to whatever pc or server you're using for your music and have 2 wifi networks in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back