Sonos system feeding a headphone amp
Feb 2, 2010 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in getting either a Sonos system of a Squeezebox to turn a corner of my house into an area used exclusively for listening to music. I'm a bit confused about what I actually need to purchase in order to make a Sonos system work.

I'd like to use the Sonos as a source for a DAC that would then feed an M^3 and I'd do it using a wired correction that runs straight to the house's router. Can I do this with just Sonos CR200 system remote and a ZP90 zone player? Basically, does the remote need the zonebridge in order to function?

Thanks!

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 12
In addition, I'm concerned with about the capabilities of the ZP90. The Sonos website says the internal DAC's can support 16-bit audio sampled at a rate up to 48khz. I have some music that was recorded at a greater bit depth and/or sample rate. If I use an external DAC, can I still stream this music with the ZP90?

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 12
Well I do not know much about the Sonos systems, but I do know Squeezebox. I currently am using a Squeezebox Duet system connected to my Gamma2 which feeds my M^3. Love the setup. I can use the Duet wifi remote to select music, or even use my iPhone with the iPeng app (squeezebox app) which works great. I believe Sonos also has an iPhone/Touch app too.

Now just so you know the Squeezebox Touch will be released hopefully soon. The Touch looks like a perfect device for a headphone setup because the Touch interface is great for when you are within arms reach of it. Also the Touch is reported by beta testers to be a nice step up in sound quality.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 12
So I checked out the Sonos site and it appears the ZP90 and something to control it is all you need. That something could be a computer, or an iphone/touch or the Sonos controller. At the cost of the Sonos controller it is cheaper to get an ipod Touch.

I have never used Sonos but have heard great things about them but wow are they pricey. I will tell you that Squeezebox devices are a bit more geeky and not always an easy setup, which I think the Sonos excels at from the reports I have heard.

Still though I love my Squeezebox.

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 12
I ended up calling Sonos and they said that the hardware will not pass an audio file to an external DAC if it is of higher resolution than 48khz/16bit. I was interested in the Duet for its wireless remote, but if the touch is of higher quality then I may consider that instead.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 12
Keep in mind that the Duet's Controller can control ANY Squeezebox player, same with the ipod touch and iphone app.

The Duet supports 24bit/48khz maximum, the server though will downsample 24/96 content using SOX. The Touch will support 24/96 without the need to downsample.

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 12
Even with the use of an external DAC?

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 12
I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread...but I don't understand why they're limiting their hardware like that.  I'm about to take the plunge with a Sonos system myself...because the Touch & Radio firmware is horribly buggy and driving me up a wall...but the resolution limitations caused me to do a serious double-take.  That could be a problem in the very near future, if not already.

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yes

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 12

I have been using following setup with Squeezebox Touch for two months without any problem. Initial release of firmware (release version 7.5.1) was buggy but not the latest versions (release version 7.5.3 and beta version 7.6). The Squeezebox Touch offer higher bit rate and sample frequency (24bit/96kHz) than Sonos ZonePlayer 90 (ZP90), its digital outputs (coaxial and optical) and built-in DAC are also quite good. The Squeezebox Touch does not support latest 802.11n wireless protocol, fortunately I am using latest dual-band model of Airport Extreme with iMac on 802.11n/5GHz band and Squeezebox Touch on 802.11g /2.4GHz band so traffics are segregated by different radio bands.

iMac [Airport 802.11g WiFi] --> Squeezebox Touch (firmware: 7.6 Beta) [coaxial] --> W4S DAC-1 [coaxial] --> Schiit Valhalla Headphone amplifier --> Sennheiser HD 600 Headphone

Since most of my music files (MP3 VBR format) are ripped from commercial CDs with 16bit/44kHz specification, limitation of Sonos ZP90 player does not matter so far. To remove this limitation, you may want to refer to following modification offered by Cullen Circuits:
http://www.cullencircuits.com/webapps/site/67005/78076/shopping/shopping-plus.html?find_groupid=12070

No idea why Sonos has to impose such unnecessary bit rate and sample frequency limitations even they have updated the ZonePlayer from ZP80 model to ZP90 model three years ago.

Quote:

I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread...but I don't understand why they're limiting their hardware like that.  I'm about to take the plunge with a Sonos system myself...because the Touch & Radio firmware is horribly buggy and driving me up a wall...but the resolution limitations caused me to do a serious double-take.  That could be a problem in the very near future, if not already.

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yes

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 12

My major problem with the Squeezeboxes is the sync settings and switching between music libraries to mysqueezebox.com-hosted radio stations.  It's pretty much a given that either one player will refuse to play the synced content, or it'll show the content in "Now Playing" but will have a Stop icon rather than Play.  No amount of play/pause/track select will fix it until the offending unit is power cycled.  It's maddening.  The Sonos system is flawless in this regard, absolutely flawless.   I think Sonos got it right when they had the idea to have their equipment create its own private wireless network instead of relying on your average homeowner's poorly-configured home network.

EDIT:  Also, and I realize the unit itself is more robust, but the S5 as a player sounds infinitely better than the Radio and a little better than the Boom. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back