Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Sep 10, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #1,186 of 1,507
Pathishea level of detali and resolution is incredible for a R2R DAC but still have maintain this R2R magic flavor.

Sep 10, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #1,188 of 1,507
What you still won’t get from Pasithea is hard hitting impact of Wavedream but if you feel need for detail then have a listen to Pasithea

Sep 10, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #1,189 of 1,507
Morpheus have more meat sound, more bass (but Pasithea bass are better quality).
So as a match for my Niimbus Amp which of the two would be better?

Only reason I can see if you listen to compressed music a lot or if you listen to vocal focused music then no point jumping to Pasithea as Morpheus is almost there. What Pasithea will do is take you a notch above in details. Morpheus is forgiving but Pasithea is not. It’s faster for sure, has better detail. I feel some background instruments can be heard better out of Pasithea. I wish I had Morpheus handy with me.

And yes Morpheus is warmer.
I listen to a lot of acoustic music, in particularly jazz, classical, and other genres, so I like great detail retrieval, when it is presented in a refined, smooth, well layered, and non-fatiguing way, at least in theory. I do not, however, want to get that great detail retrieval at the expense heft and impact in the low end. So I want to ask how much "meat" (if any)the Pasithea takes off the bone of its mid and sub-bass response, in generating the high-level detail retrieval you speak about. You mention that the Morpheus is "warmer," and @vonBaron seems to be saying the Morpheus is "meatier," but what does it all mean in practice, for the totality of the musical presentation, when the rubber hits the road?

Will the Pasithea, as compared to the Morpheus, make mid and sub-bass response sound thin and lean like some mosquito on a water diet? :):):) Okay, ignoring the joke and talking more seriously, I want to get your assessment of how much bass meatiness and substance the Pasithea seems to sacrifice, if any, in the pursuit of all that glorious detail retrieval, as compared to mid and sub-bass response on the Morpheus?

Sometimes it sounds to me as if the Pasithea has gone for estat-like ethereal sounding detail retrieval, while sending mid and subbass response on a lean and spartan diet that might not be entirely satisfying to Morpheus enthusiasts, but I could be wrong. I would give everything to be able to audition a Pasithea in my system in order to hear for myself where all the chips fall in this comparison.

Sep 10, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #1,190 of 1,507
What you still won’t get from Pasithea is hard hitting impact of Wavedream but if you feel need for detail then have a listen to Pasithea
So how will a Pasithea vs Holo May vs Wave Dream shoot out pan out in your own book of performance rankings, if you can tell?

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #1,191 of 1,507

I listen to a lot of acoustic music, in particularly jazz, classical, and other genres, so I like great detail retrieval, when it is presented in a refined, smooth, well layered, and non-fatiguing way, at least in theory. I do not, however, want to get that great detail retrieval at the expense heft and impact in the low end. So I want to ask how much "meat" (if any)the Pasithea takes off the bone of its mid and sub-bass response, in generating the high-level detail retrieval you speak about. You mention that the Morpheus is "warmer," and @vonBaron seems to be saying the Morpheus is "meatier," but what does it all mean in practice, for the totality of the musical presentation, when the rubber hits the road?

Will the Pasithea, as compared to the Morpheus, make mid and sub-bass response sound thin and lean like some mosquito on a water diet? :):):) Okay, ignoring the joke and talking more seriously, I want to get your assessment of how much bass meatiness and substance the Pasithea seems to sacrifice, if any, in the pursuit of all that glorious detail retrieval, as compared to mid and sub-bass response on the Morpheus?

Sometimes it sounds to me as if the Pasithea has gone for estat-like ethereal sounding detail retrieval, while sending mid and subbass response on a lean and spartan diet that might not be entirely satisfying to Morpheus enthusiasts, but I could be wrong. I would give everything to be able to audition a Pasithea in my system in order to hear for myself where all the chips fall in this comparison.
If you have $$ go straight to Pasithea, it is amazing experience with Niimbus (i have Niimbus too).

Sep 10, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #1,192 of 1,507
It would be awesome if Cees released versions of Morpheus and Pasithea without preamp functionality. Just standard DACs. Jike Onyx/Jade and Pavane/Adagio.

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #1,193 of 1,507

Pasithea in silo is not thin sounding DAC. It still is warm and has the house sound. Just that in comparison to other Metrum or Sonnet it is lighter on feet but it still has that warm sound we enjoy. The vocals are as good as anything and in no way Mid bass or sub bass are lean. The “other” website has good comparison between May, Wavedream and Pasithea. I have never heard May but have heard Wavedream and Pasithea.

this album is such a treat
kJkKdWu.png

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,194 of 1,507
The “other” website has good comparison between May, Wavedream and Pasithea. I have never heard May but have heard Wavedream and Pasithea.
Link, please?

Sep 10, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #1,195 of 1,507
Just curious if anyone with a Morpheus has these “issues”
the i2s board doesn’t line up well with the hole.
there’s some wire jumper soldered on the board but looks messy.

Attachments

• 9014B457-102F-4D21-95E7-DF7E4B370714.jpeg
    9014B457-102F-4D21-95E7-DF7E4B370714.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 40BEB44C-6879-498C-9180-C1C960E8E3B5.jpeg
    40BEB44C-6879-498C-9180-C1C960E8E3B5.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 0B8E944B-62BD-4B6E-A712-AAD4FE602DA1.jpeg
    0B8E944B-62BD-4B6E-A712-AAD4FE602DA1.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 0
Sep 10, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #1,196 of 1,507
This is what I have. I don’t have access to it now but I took it when I was changing the voltage and swapping the USB for I2S
Hope it helps
I don’t see any such wire but I bought it when it came out in 2019 so not sure about the new one.

Attachments

• 70976BDD-E627-4019-8AD2-67E6601A95B2.jpeg
    70976BDD-E627-4019-8AD2-67E6601A95B2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #1,197 of 1,507
This is what I have. I don’t have access to it now but I took it when I was changing the voltage and swapping the USB for I2S
Hope it helps
I don’t see any such wire but I bought it when it came out in 2019 so not sure about the new one.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah your board looks quite different in that section. Probably part of MKI vs MKII as well.

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #1,198 of 1,507
Looks to me repair work, not a factory patch. Two short tracks seem burnt, covered now with excess of solder, the third one is fixed with a piece of wire.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back