Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Aug 18, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #151 of 1,507
Good to hear, I'm always open to upgrades.
But for now Morpheus is for me totl DAC.
Yes, maybe Chord Dave or DCs Bartok is better but for what cost...

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #152 of 1,507
Okay, here's a question about volume control on the Morpheus... What are the best practices for aligning it with the volume control on the amp to which it is attached? So far, I have been dialing them both in by ear, in a sort of dual- and simultaneous calibration, but I am wondering whether there is a better method. Is there any such thing as an ideal "fixed volume" setting on the Morpheus, fort example, a setting which will simplify things, after being set, by leaving all remaining volume control activity to the attached amp for on the fly optimization?

I would like to hear from those who have used the Jade and Adagio too, if they have any helpful input.

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #153 of 1,507
Okay, here's a question about volume control on the Morpheus... What are the best practices for aligning it with the volume control on the amp to which it is attached? So far, I have been dialing them both in by ear, in a sort of dual- and simultaneous calibration, but I am wondering whether there is a better method. Is there any such thing as an ideal "fixed volume" setting on the Morpheus, fort example, a setting which will simplify things, after being set, by leaving all remaining volume control activity to the attached amp for on the fly optimization?

I would like to hear from those who have used the Jade and Adagio too, if they have any helpful input.

If the amp has a volume control, you should max one of the components out, and use the volume control of the other. It’s never a good idea to use both and have two volume controls in the signal path. See which sounds better to you.

Of course,

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #154 of 1,507
Good to hear, I'm always open to upgrades.
But for now Morpheus is for me totl DAC.
Yes, maybe Chord Dave or DCs Bartok is better but for what cost...
Other dacs like Dave or Bartok might sound better or worse than Morpheus or Metrum. You have to try them in your system and evaluate the combinations, there are no certainties.

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #155 of 1,507

I don't remember correctly but there is increase in noise floor after certain attenuation in volume from Morpheus. Try to stay above it. You can look for some measurement graph online.

Aug 19, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #156 of 1,507
There is measured noise increase at around -50 db input signal, this has nothing to with with the volume control, which is not a digital control, Most of your music will not have much at -50db. While this is considered technically audible, whether you actually hear it is another question. The noise increase is speculated to be caused by summing the split bits that is done when the signal is first processed.

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #157 of 1,507
Well, I think the volume control of the Morpheus is superior to that of the HPA with which it is currently paired in my nearfield rig. The Morpheus has a lot more play room, and and can tease out a lot more layers of detail, subtlety and refinement in the music than the amp can. I see the point about maxing out one volume pot while controlling volume with the other, but does that not come with some risks, for example, does a maxed out volume pot not come with the possibility of doing something untoward with the noise floor of the sonic end result. I could use the "fixed volume" setting on the Morpheus to keep it at one level, and yet I'd rather not do that since it is the volume control of the Morpheus that generates more subtle refinements in volume and even in the general texture of the music, at least to my ears.

Btw the amp I have been using with the Morpheus so far ie the Liquid Platinum which sounds great but has a rather problematic volume pot. It is almost making me want to invest in a more highend amp for this rig since I think the Morpheus deserves better.

Aug 20, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #158 of 1,507
Well, I think the volume control of the Morpheus is superior to that of the HPA with which it is currently paired in my nearfield rig. The Morpheus has a lot more play room, and and can tease out a lot more layers of detail, subtlety and refinement in the music than the amp can. I see the point about maxing out one volume pot while controlling volume with the other, but does that not come with some risks, for example, does a maxed out volume pot not come with the possibility of doing something untoward with the noise floor of the sonic end result. I could use the "fixed volume" setting on the Morpheus to keep it at one level, and yet I'd rather not do that since it is the volume control of the Morpheus that generates more subtle refinements in volume and even in the general texture of the music, at least to my ears.

Btw the amp I have been using with the Morpheus so far ie the Liquid Platinum which sounds great but has a rather problematic volume pot. It is almost making me want to invest in a more highend amp for this rig since I think the Morpheus deserves better.

Okay so here's what sees says about tweaking the balance between volume control on the Morpheus and volume control on it connected amps :

" It very simple , when you use the dac as a digital pre amplifier you can drive the power amp directly. The only restriction is that the gain of the power amp should be something like 22-26 dB. This gain will give you a comfortable range on your volume knob. When using a analog preamp in between set your dac in fixed mode , something between -10 and zero dB's . The same story is valid here, try to find a comfortable range of your volume knob of the analog preamplifier. That means that the volume of the Morpheus was set somewhere between -10 and 0dB, for instance -5dB which you have to fix in the Menu. That is all what you have to do."

I suppose my preferred approach for now is using the DAC as a digital pre amp, and controlling the power amp with the Morpheus.

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #159 of 1,507
So my unit has finally arrived, on the fifth day of my burn-in process. I like the amp so far, and I think it might be one of the best, if not the best option you can have in this price range. The sound stage, depth, tonality, and the speed, pretty much everything I wanted to improved from my Little Dot DAC7. Don’t get me wrong, DAC7 is great for its price, but Morpheus is clearly not in the same ballpark.

Anyone has any suggestion for power cord though? I have a couple in my mind that I wanted to try, but just wondering if there is any good option out there already?

Sep 23, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #164 of 1,507
Sep 23, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #165 of 1,507
Great, going by the measurements above, Morpheus measures poorer than pavane. Issue of volume control is also affecting the performance as well as the higher output range (above -10db) having more distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back