Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Dec 15, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #751 of 1,507
I got the Morpheus yesterday. Can't say anything but wow. Worth every penny. Sound like a high end dac
Welcome to the club! The Morpheus is a fantastic DAC, and I agree it's worth every penny. The Moprheus is especially fantastic when used with the I2S connection and it gets even better with the Sonnet Hermes streamer.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #752 of 1,507
I also received the Morpheus this week. It will replace my Pavane L3. I must be nuts cuz the Pavane L3 is ridiculously good.

I ordered the Morpheus with the i2s RJ45 input instead of USB. My Pavane L3 also has the RJ45 input, however I can't use it because my USB/SPDIF converter obviously doesn't have that.
I'm looking for a DDC that has a USB input and RJ45 output to go to the Morpheus. I can't get the Sonnet Hermes because I don't have Roon and I am not going to download the Volumio or anything else. Looking at a Denafrips Hermes maybe. Does anyone have any suggestions for a DDC that has a USB input and i2s rj45 output?

Also, initial impression of the Morpheus is that while expansive stage and a smooth, warm signature overall, I have a feeling it punches a little bit less. It seems like the Pavane was hitting a little bit harder. Had a little more oomph. I don't know. Could be just me. I rewired my entire system with Triode Wire Labs USB, XLR and power cords two days after I got the Morpheus so I may have made too many changes at once.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #756 of 1,507
Thanks for the input.

I'm streaming Tidal from the Mac Mini via USB to an Audiophilleo 2 w/battery. Then leaving A2 via BNC to Morpheus.

As I understand, I can use Volumio or Audirvana and use Sonnet Hermes as a Roon endpoint but that stuff is too complicated for me to download. I'm not a computer guy. Please don't make fun. Lol.

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #757 of 1,507
I had The Pavane L3 and I have a Morpheus. The Pavane had that really rich full sound, but congested. You might be confusing quantity with quality. Bloated bass, versus bass that has detail.
Good point.

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #758 of 1,507
I will say this...I told my buddy yesterday that the Morpheus has better separation of instruments and is slightly smoother and warmer than the Pavane which helps to tame my HiFiman HE 1000se just perfectly.

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #760 of 1,507
How many hours do you have on your Morpheus? It’ll sound even better by 150 hours. I remember Cees saying to me after I had it a couple of days that I didn’t think I was going to keep the Morpheus and send it back to him. He told me to give it 150 hours and not to keep going back-and-forth between the two components. He was right.

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #761 of 1,507
How many hours do you have on your Morpheus? It’ll sound even better by 150 hours. I remember Cees saying to me after I had it a couple of days that I didn’t think I was going to keep the Morpheus and send it back to him. He told me to give it 150 hours and not to keep going back-and-forth between the two components. He was right.
I've been feeding it a signal continuously for just over 4 days, so I'd say around 100 hours.

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #762 of 1,507
I also received the Morpheus this week. It will replace my Pavane L3. I must be nuts cuz the Pavane L3 is ridiculously good.

I ordered the Morpheus with the i2s RJ45 input instead of USB. My Pavane L3 also has the RJ45 input, however I can't use it because my USB/SPDIF converter obviously doesn't have that.
I'm looking for a DDC that has a USB input and RJ45 output to go to the Morpheus. I can't get the Sonnet Hermes because I don't have Roon and I am not going to download the Volumio or anything else. Looking at a Denafrips Hermes maybe. Does anyone have any suggestions for a DDC that has a USB input and i2s rj45 output?

Also, initial impression of the Morpheus is that while expansive stage and a smooth, warm signature overall, I have a feeling it punches a little bit less. It seems like the Pavane was hitting a little bit harder. Had a little more oomph. I don't know. Could be just me. I rewired my entire system with Triode Wire Labs USB, XLR and power cords two days after I got the Morpheus so I may have made too many changes at once.
Random DDC with I2S doesn’t mean that I2S will be compatible with Morpheus. You see I2S is not a standard for music so different manufacturer has different settings for I2S. Apart from Hermes/ Metrum DDC the other I know that works is Pi2AES but it will require some DIY

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #763 of 1,507
Random DDC with I2S doesn’t mean that I2S will be compatible with Morpheus. You see I2S is not a standard for music so different manufacturer has different settings for I2S. Apart from Hermes/ Metrum DDC the other I know that works is Pi2AES but it will require some DIY
Thank you. Yes, I knew that i2s is not standardized. I have already spoken with Rob at Audio Art Cable and he said that he would make me a special RJ45 cable that would be compatible with, for example, a Denafrips Hermes and Sonnet Morpheus with proper pin arrangements.

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #764 of 1,507
Thank you. Yes, I knew that i2s is not standardized. I have already spoken with Rob at Audio Art Cable and he said that he would make me a special RJ45 cable that would be compatible with, for example, a Denafrips Hermes and Sonnet Morpheus with proper pin arrangements.
Yes that’s possible. Someone who knows the pin layout of both devices can easily do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back