Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Jul 3, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #421 of 1,507
Hi, how are you connecting the Pi2AES to the Morpheus? If you can point me in the right direction on where you got the custom cables, it'll be much appreciated!
I'm still waitingfor my Pi2AES. Also, what LPS did you settle on? I'm looking at the iFi iPower Elite 24v. Says the noise floor is under 1uV!
Below is the config of Metrum and I assume the same would be true for Sonnet.
7926059A-2D45-45AB-9B78-13783E72AB37.png

And below is config of Pi2AES
D-W-B-G-M pins on the Pi2AES are Serial Data - Word Clock - Bit Clock - Ground - Master Clock

Now if you get some jumper cable and connect the pins from Pi2AES to a RJ45 BOARD like below
DD5488C9-FAF4-4B22-9986-C32E556638FC.jpeg

as shown

https://imgur.com/a/J5nYsBw
You will hear music

I hope it helps.

Jul 3, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #422 of 1,507
Below is the config of Metrum and I assume the same would be true for Sonnet.
7926059A-2D45-45AB-9B78-13783E72AB37.png

And below is config of Pi2AES
D-W-B-G-M pins on the Pi2AES are Serial Data - Word Clock - Bit Clock - Ground - Master Clock

Now if you get some jumper cable and connect the pins from Pi2AES to a RJ45 BOARD like below
DD5488C9-FAF4-4B22-9986-C32E556638FC.jpeg
as shown

https://imgur.com/a/J5nYsBw
You will hear music

I hope it helps.
This helps tremendously, Thank you!

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #423 of 1,507
Having been through this thread I'm intrigued by the Morpheus/Hermes combo.

There has been a few comments on genres which work well with the Morpheus but I was wondering if anyone who owns/demo'd/loaned the unit could comment on how it handles electronic music - chemical brothers, deamau5, fatboy slim, massive attack etc.

Thank you

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #424 of 1,507
Having been through this thread I'm intrigued by the Morpheus/Hermes combo.

There has been a few comments on genres which work well with the Morpheus but I was wondering if anyone who owns/demo'd/loaned the unit could comment on how it handles electronic music - chemical brothers, deamau5, fatboy slim, massive attack etc.

Thank you
It handles Electronica very well. The bass and soundstage presentation with this setup is incredible. I listen to Electronica 50% of the time and with the Hermes/Morpheus I am in heaven.

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #425 of 1,507
I have a Morpheus on the way which I'll be pairing with a Sparkos Aries SS amp. I'll be coming from a Hugo 2 as my main source; what should I expect by way of a difference between the DACs?

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #426 of 1,507
I have a Morpheus on the way which I'll be pairing with a Sparkos Aries SS amp. I'll be coming from a Hugo 2 as my main source; what should I expect by way of a difference between the DACs?
Well first thing that you will notice is thick tonality of NOS DAC that you may like. Hugo 2 is bright and thin sounding with everything popping out, Morpheus will be nuanced. Vocals in Morpheus will be more in front of you compared to Hugo 2. Micro Details will be great and better in Morpheus. Only chord product that I have kept is Mojo
I had Hugo 2 and Qutest and sold both of them after owning Gungnir MB and later Onyx. Morpheus is better then both.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #427 of 1,507
Well first thing that you will notice is thick tonality of NOS DAC that you may like. Hugo 2 is bright and thin sounding with everything popping out, Morpheus will be nuanced. Vocals in Morpheus will be more in front of you compared to Hugo 2. Micro Details will be great and better in Morpheus. Only chord product that I have kept is Mojo
I had Hugo 2 and Qutest and sold both of them after owning Gungnir MB and later Onyx. Morpheus is better then both.
Much obliged, thanks. Thick and resolving is a good combo. How's the Morpheus + VC pairing in terms of speed, transients, and attack?

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #428 of 1,507
It is true what you said about the tonality of the Morpheus, and to a great extent NOS R2R ladder DACS. However what you said about the Hugo 2 comparison you can pretty much say that against almost any DAC versus the Hugo.

The Hugo doesn’t sound bright and thin because you’re comparing it to another DAC that isn’t bright and thin. Hugo sounds bright and thin because it is bright and thin.

Jul 9, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #429 of 1,507
20210709_145054_HDR.jpg

I listen to the visible Niimbus and Utopias, from the very first moment you can see the great synergy between the two. Compared to my Morpheus, you can feel greater momentum in the sound, greater space, dynamics and resolution. Dave is more analytical too. Morpheus, however, has more plankton, it is smoother, more musical. The treble in Dave is more pronounced, sharper, the bass is more punctual but far from thin, the midrange is more aerated, sharper, with a greater edge. I would like to keep Dave because it is a great DAC (I have not tested it as a DAC / AMP yet) but the price effectively scares me off. Morpheus, although in some respects it is worse, does not stick out very clearly and costs significantly less.

Dave is great with warmer headphones, while with the 1266 TC it's too much for me, it's too thin and sharp for me.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #433 of 1,507
I'm looking forward to the newer iteration of the Morpheus. I really liked the Metrum Pavane, and now the Morpheus. I'm sure the newest DAC will sound fantastic.
I look forward to receiving the current model. Mine arrived in Vienna this morning but wasn't dispatched for some reason. Monday will be the day of testing, it seems.

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #434 of 1,507
That doesn’t mean anything. The Dave is 3 times the price and I don’t think it sounds good at all.

However getting back to pricing, cost is not indicative of sound.
However, from the same manufacturer and designer, it usually does mean it sounds better. At least that's what I think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back