Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
May 16, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #376 of 1,504
Hi All, been trying to read as much as possible on the forums and getting thoughts and impressions on the Morpheus. I’m looking to purchase a DAC and debating between the Morpheus and the Audiobyte Hydra stack. Different technologies and approaches from what I understand unfortunately I’m in a location where I will not be able to demo the units. The upgradeability of the Hydra via firmware updates is appealing however there seems to be some issues with usb and unwanted noises. Cees seems to have a stellar reputation as a designer!
Unfortunately I am unable to hook up a streamer to either units as I don’t have a LAN port nearby so the source will be through USB from my laptop/iPad to the DAC and finally to a tube amp for headphone use only. Varied genres of music from hard rock to classical and many things in between.
Apologies, I’m an absolute beginner and novice in this hobby and have very limited funds to work with.
Would appreciate the community’s views/thoughts/criticisms!
Don’t discount streamer just because you don’t have a router nearby. There are many great WiFi extenders at a very cheap price that also has LAN port and helps in such cases. Just put those extenders in a nearby power plug and connect streamer to it using LAN port. That’s how I use my Pi based streamer which is in my bedroom.

Attachments

• 1008ECC1-A282-4506-A879-5FF830488914.jpeg
    1008ECC1-A282-4506-A879-5FF830488914.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 0
May 16, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #377 of 1,504
Don’t discount streamer just because you don’t have a router nearby. There are many great WiFi extenders at a very cheap price that also has LAN port and helps in such cases. Just put those extenders in a nearby power plug and connect streamer to it using LAN port. That’s how I use my Pi based streamer which is in my bedroom.
Thanks! I’ve thought about that but didn’t know how the stability and quality using that method would be vs directly from a lab port

May 16, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #378 of 1,504
Thanks! I’ve thought about that but didn’t know how the stability and quality using that method would be vs directly from a lab port
No dropouts and good quality. Get a good extender and you won’t face an issue.

May 16, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #380 of 1,504
Wish I had a chance to listen to that combo! Though I think it'd also be so much nicer if he made the streamer in the same form factor as the morpheus.
I get the looks of the different form factors, but they make up for it in sound. Also, at least the logos and screens match up. :wink:

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #381 of 1,504
Hey guys, I have a Sonnet Hermes and a Sonnet Morpheus at the classified on sale. These two are excellent, especially the Morpheus. But I just want to return to something simple like a DAC-integrated amp. If you are interested, welcome to PM me.

May 17, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #385 of 1,504
May 18, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #390 of 1,504
Any one knows whether there's some kind of modular upgrade for the Morpheus itself in the works?

Oh, and, "Father of Morpheus"? A"father" to be born after his own son? and "fathered" by his own son? Only in audioland and audiophilespeak :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Okay, all jokes aside, I personally cannot afford this new "father-DAC," but I'd not be pissed off at all if Cees can drop a few trickle down upgrades upon the old "son," from the expected "father.":slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back