Sonification - Scientific data might be filled with important things waiting to be discovered. Just listen to them!
Mar 27, 2016 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Peti

500+ Head-Fier
Here I am on this Saturday night reading about sound science and just bumped into this article on The Economist. As a regular reader of it I'm not surprised this article has appeared. Use their search bar to find many nice articles on headphones. This one, however, is just worth to open a new thread for. If, by chance, this article has been posted on Head-Fi already, please feel free to contact the moderators to close this thread.

I just don't want to leave this article "unattended" and "undiscussed". I feel it has a right to be posted in the Sound Science section.

Without further ado, here is the writing case in point:

http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21694992-scientific-data-might-be-filled-important-things-waiting-be-discovered

It makes for fascinating reading!

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 3
Great article, thanks for sharing. Was hoping they were going to include some links to some data. I imagine they are using fast Fourier transformations of data (frequency, time) and using an oscillator or series of oscillators to generate a tone. I remember playing around with a program way back in the day called Metasynth that could convert sound to image and vice versa. Really interesting results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back