Sonicstage Users: HELP! (Stuck at "converting database")
Sep 25, 2009 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cam94z28

100+ Head-Fier
I am forced to use Sonicstage with my Sony Vaio VGF-AP1L 40GB MP3 player. It hung a few days ago and I had to close it from task manager. Since the next reboot, it never fully loads. After a few seconds, a progress bar, and "converting database" is displayed. The progress bar reaches 100% in about 30 seconds, but the program never loads. I even let it sit for 2-3 hours and it never loaded. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling 5 or 6 times. Deleted everything in the Program Files/Sony folder, but it still wont wipe the database. I read somewhere that SonicStage uses an excel database, and uninstalling that will solve it. Excel is not installed on my pc.

My MP3 player is basically useless until I can fix this problem. I run Windows 7, MP3 Music Manager will only allow me to delete tracks, and Vaio Music Transfer will not allow me to drag and drop (it's greyed out).

Hopefully this post reaches someone who's been through this before. If there is a better forum for this, mods feel free to move it.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Deleted everything in the Program Files/Sony folder, but it still wont wipe the database. I read somewhere that SonicStage uses an excel database, and uninstalling that will solve it

Excel has nothing to do with it.
SonicStage database is stored in folder called %APPDATA% (just enter %APPDATA% into an explorer address bar), try to delete folders called Sony and SonicStage from there.

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 10
I believe I checked the AppData folder, but will double check for any Sony related folders.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also you can check for sony folders in %PROGRAMDATA% and %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%

Thank you!

Sure enough, c:/%programdata%/Sony Corporation/SonicStage/Packages/
contained a few 18MB .mdb files. Hopefully wiping these will solve the problem. Will update once I get a chance to re-install tomorrow. Never would have thought to check there, so thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenchen2006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I reply your post just in memory of my old sony d-ne10, and I definitely can't bear the sonicstage when I find it.

You are right, Sonicstage is a piece of garbage. If the drag/drop function of MP3 File Manager would work in vista, I would no longer user Sonicstage at all. It crashed all the time on xp, and vista, but this was the only time it hung (never actually crashed) on Windows 7.

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 10
Yep that solved the problem! uninstalled sonicstage, removed said folders, and uninstalled openmg + patch from add/remove programs, re-installed, problem solved.

Hopefully this thread will stay around for anyone else going through the same thing.

Thanks again.

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 10
IMHO, sonicstage is the best of all similar managers i've seen.
I've used itunes, zune, kenwood media application and sonicstage, and itunes just a worst one, kenwood media application is slightly better, zune is, at least, useable (much better than itunes and KMA), and sonicstage is much better than zune.

Sep 27, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drpepper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you all aware of JSymphonic ?
I've got it on all my Sonys, and it works well.

wow! thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back