sonica scratching sound problem
Jul 22, 2003 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

skoiboy

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Sonica and I'm having some trouble during audio playback. I am periodically getting a loud scratching noise from the sound output of the card. The pattern seems random, and I assume that the scratch sound comes when the computer is processing, but I have monitered all file access and memory access and I can find no coorelation between the scratching and the computer accessing any files or memory. I also have another USB soundcard that I can hook up and I will not have
>this problem at all. So I know that the problem is with the actual sonica and I assume that the audio signal is getting interfered with somehow.

Futhermore in my testing I have still had the problem when starting in safe mode, or in diagnostic mode in XP. I have even unplugged everything from the laptop and started the computer in safe mode and I still have the problem.

M-Audio tech support said they have seen this in other laptops and that it might be a power issue, which I wouldn't doubt...any ideas!?

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 6
I can't really help you here but I've also noticed it on my laptop but only in >44.1khz modes. I havn't heard it on my desktop yet.

Jul 28, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 6
I don't own a Sonica, but have experienced similar issues with my iMic, here's a few caveats from my experience with it.

See if you can turn off the speed stepping on the processor. I have issues with speed changing because some of the buses are halted a few ms during speed switches. This happens on every laptop I've seen w/ speed stepping, even my Powerbook G4. Also, Dell likes to do stupid things such as assigning the USB host the same IRQ as something else; try to correct this in the BIOS if possible. Regardless of what Microsoft says, IRQ sharing and ACPI are far from flawless.

Another thing to try:
reinstall windows without ACPI. If you go to the computer forum on futureproducers.com, they have detailed directions on this and other tweaks to stabilize audio problems. I had intermittent problems with an Echo Mia (PCI) and ACPI enabled under both Win2k and WinXP. Reintsalled without ACPI and it was rock solid.

Jul 29, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 6
I just want to verify you've tried it with multiple players. I have the same problem on my G4 with VLC, but not with other players and not when using a non-USB card.

Jul 29, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 6
Yeah I have tried it with other players. The interesting thing is that I have a extigy (powered soundcard) and it doesn't happen. I think I need to just replace the sonica with a powered USB soundcard such as an M-audio Audiophile USB. Anyone else think that is a good idea to solve the problem???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back