Sonic Youth releases new album today...
Jun 13, 2006 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
..."Rather Ripped"

I hope to buy it real soon.
icon10.gif

Critics at allmusic and pitchfork gave it B+-type ratings.
rolleyes.gif

I'll see what I think for myself.
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 9
the New York Times yesterday said it could possibly be their best album yet.

and also pointed out that it's the 25 year old band's 20th album.

i feel old as dirt.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
the New York Times yesterday said it could possibly be their best album yet.

and also pointed out that it's the 25 year old band's 20th album.

i feel old as dirt.

NO, don't say that!

Old is the new young!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm just listening (for the first time) to the second disc of the Goo re-issue (the studio outtakes). Goo was never my favorite album, but I am digging the alternate versions of these tunes very much.
icon10.gif

Looks like I'm in for a few days of Sonic Youth revival.

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 9
There was an interview with them on NPR yesterday. You can listen to the interview here, plus a couple new songs from the album.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5479731

I like the two songs enough that I'll probably buy the album soon. I was telling my wife that they're one of my favorite bands. She asked me if I buy all their albums and I said no, I hadn't bought a new SY album since 1992 (DIRTY). So, I guess "fan" is a relative term...

smily_headphones1.gif

-jar

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
There was an interview with them on NPR yesterday. You can listen to the interview here, plus a couple new songs from the album.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5479731

I like the two songs enough that I'll probably buy the album soon. I was telling my wife that they're one of my favorite bands. She asked me if I buy all their albums and I said no, I hadn't bought a new SY album since 1992 (DIRTY). So, I guess "fan" is a relative term...

smily_headphones1.gif

-jar

I have most of their albums post-Dirty. I think you should get Thousand Leaves (1998) and perhaps Sonic Nurse (2004) which are the best two albums since Dirty, IMO. Maybe Washing Machine (1995) could be added to that list.

ps: thanks for the link

Jun 13, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 9
Murray Street is probably their best since Daydream Nation. Sonic Nurse is almost as good, and Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves both have far more hits than misses. All are better than Dirty or Goo. Basically Sonic Youth is a remarkably consistent group over its 25 years, and only Jetset and NYC Ghosts and Flowers are below the standard expected of them.

The new one sounds good to me - even more "commercial" (relative term here) than Sonic Nurse, with Kim Gordon back on her best form for a second album in a row. Not sure that overall it is quite up to the standard of its 2 predecessors, but as usual the quality is so high who really cares.

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
They are on tour now. I'll be seeing them next week.

Enjoy! I saw them on the Sonic Nurse tour (summer of 2004) when I was on vacation in Vancouver. One of the best shows of theirs that I ever saw.

I deperately tried to get my friend to get his friend to get me into tonight's gig at CBGBs.

No such luck
mad.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 9
Looking forward to this one.
Their last few albums have been pretty solid (with my fave of the last few being Murray Street).

Still, I think Sonic Youth's masterpiece is Washing Machine.
That album was just about perfect.

Even better than Daydream Nation which I always thought was just a tad bit overrated.

My top 5 would read:

Washing Machine
Sister
Murray Street
NYC Ghosts & Flowers
Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star

"Goo" is the only album I don't like much. Can't get into it for some reason.
That's followed by "A Thousand Leaves" which has some really good stuff on it but is too long and also has a few dull songs.

The rest are all solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back