Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Feb 9, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #17 of 1,216
Quote:
hello Mike,

I've been reading your review a couple of times the last 24h and was wondering about the microstreamer and ADS combo you are advising. Did you like the Dac job done with the microstreamer better than the dac part of the ADS. And so, on what criteria? I've had the dacmin cx for a year  and am now getting the all ADS bundle. I like the technicality of the cx dac , but kind of feels it misses a part of magic. Maybe your words will be better than mine.
best regards

hey there!!
Oh - I used the ADS strictly because it's my best affordable desktop "system" - and I know its sound VERY well, as I use it in my home office.
I just wanted to have a whole system as a solid reference - to feed the analog from the microStreamer - and I thought plugging it into my big
reference system would've been overkill (and, IMO, I never got good results driving a big system from the Dragonfly - I love mine, but I use
it as a DAC/head-amp)

I'll say this about the DACmini (PX is a CX w/ a class D amp on-board): It was absolutely killer when I first heard it, and I still use it - but I did prefer
the warmer, more rounded and smoothed out sound when I used the microStreamer as the DAC.  It sounded more natural to me.  Most importantly,
I connected to the music immedicately.  It's tough to quantify that - but it happens faster and easier w/ the microStreamer.

I had another experience like that this week (a cheaper DAC working better w/ a headphone amp).  I was using the DACmini as a DAC on the E.A.R HP-4,
then I decided to try my trusty StyleAudio CARAT-TOPAZ as the DAC (reviewed it back in 09 - but has a nice sound and I still love it) - which was about
500 bucks, I think, back then.  I'm honestly at a loss for words right now - regarding what I'm hearing.  And I admit I don't shut the F&%$ up! I can't help it...

This is giving me one of the best stereo experiences of my LIFE - NO JOKE:
(using Cardas Clear on the LCD3's)

YES - I got one for review - this is my new ultimate personal audio goal - though I know its CRAZY expensive - I'll leave that discussion to another time - 
but listening to my Audeze LCD3's and the E.A.R is like walking into Harry Pearson's house (Founder of The Absolute Sound) for the first time and hearing
the 150k Genesis 1 Loudspeaker system!!!!  That was four seven foot towers!

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #18 of 1,216
Thanks for writing up this gem Mike! I seem to recall that you were digging the iPad /Headstreamer combo not long ago. How does this compare as I have the same. Sounds like more power perhaps but is this a significant audible upgrade over the Headstreamer.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #19 of 1,216
Quote:
Thanks for writing up this gem Mike! I seem to recall that you were digging the iPad /Headstreamer combo not long ago. How does this compare as I have the same. Sounds like more power perhaps but is this a significant audible upgrade over the Headstreamer.

You're welcome brotha.  I was glad to do it!
You've lit a fire under my __ to check it out vs. the Headstreamer!  I meant to do that all along.
Having lived with the Headstreamer (so I'm merely reflecting now): I THINK the microStreamer has a bit more sparkle in the midrange - but I have to test that theory out here in the newly constructed Sonic Satori Personal Audio Lab!

This combo w/ my Audeze LCD3's is giving me CHILLS btw.
I know its CRAZY expensive - but...  WOW

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #20 of 1,216
Michael

I'm curious what cables you have tried out with the Microstreamer, both with your headphones and also connecting to your home stereo via your computer. I have only used some cheapos from Newegg but I'm very interested in seeing if certain brand cables have a real synergy with the Microstreamer. Thanks and I'll drop you a PM...been out of town a lot lately.

And thanks for being a great contributor here.

Best,

Gregg

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #21 of 1,216
Looking at the specs it seems the Microstreamer has a very nice 0,5 output impedance making it ideal for IEM use. Will be following this thread, interesting product. Quite amazing how fast the DragonFly is being attacked by competitors. Great time to be into portable audio, things are moving fast.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #23 of 1,216

Almost same exact setup 
wink_face.gif

Purchased both HeadStreamer and MicroStreamer, returned one and kept the other (Micro). 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #24 of 1,216
I also bought an iBasso DZero after the microStreamer out of curiosity, to make it short I'll be selling the DZero!

In fact I totally like the Digitally activated analog volume control feature in a sense I only need to deal with one volume control. In the case of the DZero both my phone and the Zero can control volume, kind of confusing.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #25 of 1,216
Quote:
Michael

I'm curious what cables you have tried out with the Microstreamer, both with your headphones and also connecting to your home stereo via your computer. I have only used some cheapos from Newegg but I'm very interested in seeing if certain brand cables have a real synergy with the Microstreamer. Thanks and I'll drop you a PM...been out of town a lot lately.

And thanks for being a great contributor here.

Best,

Gregg

Thanks for the kind words Gregg! I'm proud to be part of this community - I just told Jude yesterday: After 20 years in Hi-fi I've learned more about personal audio here - from ALL OF YOU  - than I ever have in the big zines!!

As for cables w/ the HRT microStreamer:
I ended up sticking w/ Moon Audio Blue Dragon for USB
I loved the combination of the ALO Green Line cables when using my Audeze LCD3's
and, for IEM (using my JH-13 Pro Freqphase) I ended up staying w/ my cable reference for them: Moon Audio Silver Dragon 

When connecting it to my CEntrance Audiophile Desktop System I actually ended up preferring this Audioquest cable over my Nordost Heimdall iKable!
That sounds nuts when I see it typed - but its true!  Hey, you gotta speak the truth to sleep at night (I do anyway).  I'll get you the model number of the
Audioquest cable - I forget.

I'm SO glad to see peeps here are buying AND enjoying the microStreamer!!  I'm about to get the Meridian Explorer for review (heard it CES).  I can't
give you a real comparison yet - but I have a feeling the Meridian won't be worth another 100 bucks - but, that's a HUNCH.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #30 of 1,216
Hi guys,

following this threat with great interest. Thanks mike for your insight about the combination of the centrance ADS and the HRT microstreamer.
As for the comparaison with the meridian devise, for what it worth, here is what whathifi reviewer thought about it:

Quote:
How does it stand up to its rivals? The Explorer’s refined and even-balanced approach is a much more rounded performance compared with the more hard-edged sound of the DragonFly, and it shares the melodic and subtle talents of the HRT microStreamer.
The HRT microStreamer has the edge in delivering a more transparent and insightful sound – as well as more agile and exciting timing – but we think some listeners will appreciate the Explorer’s smoother approach, which is easier on the ears for long hours of listening.
 source:http://www.whathifi.com/review/explorer-dac

I'm also interested if you could specified that audioquest cable you are talking about to connect the HRT to the ADS.
Best regards guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back