Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
May 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #121 of 1,216
Quote:
I love my microStreamer with my Hifiman RE-400 IEMs... that is my default listening rig at the moment! I don't know anything about the hifimedy though, sorry.

I'm PUMPED to try more HiFiMAN cans this weekend!

I've heard they make a killer match w/ the microStreamer.

BTW guys - this may sound CRAZY - but I got a surprising result when I switched from the stock USB cable for the MS (which deals w/ common-mode noise very well, with its ferrite ring)
to Moon Audio's Blue Dragon USB cable:

Thus far, I have more air and bloom in the highs and the bottom end changed.  I lost a but of slam, but it seems to have gained definition.
Now - I'm not sure if this is all psycho-acoustics yet.  Making changes tends to lead your mind into thinking there's a change, so I'm going to spend
more time with it...

to be continued

May 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #122 of 1,216
Sorry in what way? You would at least need an interface to stream files to the streamer, which only has digital input. I use JRMedia player to get files from my NAS and play through my PC connected to the microstreamer, works flawlessly. Sorry if I did not understand your question.

I mean that, connected to the USB port of a Synology NAS, it would be recognized by the NAS as a sound card. I believe the microstreamer II work that way.
In that case music can be streamed directly from the nas drive.
Lionel

May 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #124 of 1,216
Quote:
I mean that, connected to the USB port of a Synology NAS, it would be recognized by the NAS as a sound card. I believe the microstreamer II work that way.
In that case music can be streamed directly from the nas drive.
Lionel

I'm SO psyched you guys are getting into this here, as I'm going to be investing in a Synology system soon!!

May 30, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #126 of 1,216
Thanks everyone for a valuable information - think I will order this too... Can anyone please comment on MS pairing with Sony MDR-MA900?

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #127 of 1,216
Good news I tried the hrt microstreamer with my xperia Z in a shop.
So it worked perfectly with usb audio recorder pro up to 24 BITE 96khz files.
And was limited to 48khz i think with the walkman player.
I can't comment the sound quality because it last only a few minutes but it was Good with fidelio x1 and myst nail2v2

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #128 of 1,216
Quote:
Good news I tried the hrt microstreamer with my xperia Z in a shop.
So it worked perfectly with usb audio recorder pro up to 24 BITE 96khz files.
And was limited to 48khz i think with the walkman player.
I can't comment the sound quality because it last only a few minutes but it was Good with fidelio x1 and myst nail2v2

Warms my heart to see this thread continuing to stay alive!!
Thanks to EVERYBODY for getting in on the concversation!

I've been LOVING the combo of the HRT microStreamer + Cardas EM 5813 Ears Speakers (IEMs) - WHOAH!!
Dynamic, airy, insanely tight bass, coherent mids, and s silky top end.  Hmmmmmmm

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #129 of 1,216
Just ordered mine directly from Kevin, will let you know my impressions as soon as it arrives in Russia.
They have a very friendly service so far.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #130 of 1,216
BTW guys - this may sound CRAZY - but I got a surprising result when I switched from the stock USB cable for the MS (which deals w/ common-mode noise very well, with its ferrite ring)
to Moon Audio's Blue Dragon USB cable:

Thus far, I have more air and bloom in the highs and the bottom end changed.  I lost a but of slam, but it seems to have gained definition.

Is the USB gold plated? I hear having gold will bring out the lush mids and sparkling treble with more bass presence. :rolleyes:

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #131 of 1,216
Quote:
Is the USB gold plated? I hear having gold will bring out the lush mids and sparkling treble with more bass presence.
rolleyes.gif

I know, its sounds CRAZY.  I was the biggest skeptic about USB cables (and I've only heard a differences a handful of times - this being one).
BUT - the USB cable that comes with the microStreamer is BETTER THAN MOST - and works perfectly fine!

Kevin knows what he's doing there too.
And I'm also psyched to say that Kevin is one of the few engineers that says certain USB cables will make a difference (but strictly 
because of proper grounding - thus lowering a noisefloor)

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #132 of 1,216
Is the standard cable better than the Blue Dragon?

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #133 of 1,216
Quote:
Is the standard cable better than the Blue Dragon?

Good question:

and PLEASE do not consider this a cop-out:

I always make sure in my full reviews that I'm always discussing the sound of the whole system.  
Meaning: I don't believe you can discern without question what the DAC is doing precisely (with regard to the overall sound); the line-stage, the amp, but you can determine what changes occur
when you change a variable in the system!

That's how I learned to review audio gear (and of course describing the musicality of the sound).  

So in this case, I wouldn't say either is better.  Only different.

The stock USB cable comes with an in-line ferrite ring that deals with common-mode noise effectively.  Thus a fantastically low noise-floor.
The Moon Audio Blue Dragon USB , to my ears (I'm doing this A/B now as I'm writing) opens up the top-end; exposing this wonderful arcing
soundstage that has a bit more dimensionality (the word Harry Pearson introduced to high end audio vocabulary in order to describe the presence of space between
instruments/sounds in recordings).  

I look for tonality/timbre first and foremost in a system - because if it doesn't capture that nothing else matters!  BOTH cables do their job, so both are equal in this respect.
I prefer the Blue Dragon because I enjoy a bit more air up-top.

But the HRT microStreamer comes with all you need for a grand sonic experience.
Minus software of course!

Me?
I use my MacBook Pro SSD running Amarra (of Amarra Hifi) or Audirvana with it.  

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #134 of 1,216
These are exactly my impressions too since I also own the Blue Dragon. I don't know if it's placebo or not though...

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #135 of 1,216
I know, its sounds CRAZY.  I was the biggest skeptic about USB cables (and I've only heard a differences a handful of times - this being one).
BUT - the USB cable that comes with the microStreamer is BETTER THAN MOST - and works perfectly fine!

Kevin knows what he's doing there too.
And I'm also psyched to say that Kevin is one of the few engineers that says certain USB cables will make a difference (but strictly 
because of proper grounding - thus lowering a noisefloor)

The USB cable that comes with the microStreamer is from Monoprice right? That's what it says on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back