Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Dec 16, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #706 of 1,216
  So glad you're excited about this :) A short description on how they behave on the MS when compared with the M8 would be nice too :)

now you're talking!
I've used them w/ my HiFi-M8 often, so I'll have a fantastic reference point for this!

However - I must admit up-front:

The CEntrance HiFi-M8 has a HUGE advantage over the microStreamer here:
In terms of power, and low noisefloor (though the MS is also very quiet, the M8,
when running on battery, is dead silent, IMO, especially with over-ear cans
that require a bit of juice).

It's like putting my E.A.R HP4 up against my ALO International (both are KILLER 
musically) - but one just out-slams, and out-classes the other, and it should!!

However, I'm totally down to do this! After all, I'm SO pumped to see this thread still 
going strong!!

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #710 of 1,216
I've had both and the 598 is a better match IMO, it's noticeably easier to drive. I will say that its a pretty bass-light combo, but also incredibly musical and fun as long as your definition of "fun" doesn't include deep, punchy bass; they are both fairly soft in their presentation, and the 598's extension is limited.
Never mind.  I decided to go with the HD-598s. Don't need expensive headphones that will make me want expensive (and less mobile) amps.

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #711 of 1,216
I will say that its a pretty bass-light combo, but also incredibly musical and fun as long as your definition of "fun" doesn't include deep, punchy bass......

Yeah, I figure any medium priced open headphones running on a USB powered amp is gonna be kind of light on bass. Still, I've got to give the open back thing a try. My 448s have bass to spare for me.  If the 598 has a bit less but it's better defined I think I'll be OK. Guess I'll find out.

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #712 of 1,216
Hmmm...better texture, yeah, but a smidge softer. If the 448s have plenty then you will probably enjoy the combo. Very spacious, enveloping, and warm combo with great sparkle. Enjoy :)
Yeah, I figure any medium priced open headphones running on a USB powered amp is gonna be kind of light on bass. Still, I've got to give the open back thing a try. My 448s have bass to spare for me.  If the 598 has a bit less but it's better defined I think I'll be OK. Guess I'll find out.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #713 of 1,216

I enjoy my @mrspeakers Mad Dogs w/ the microStreamer!
and it doesn't sound "bass-light" to me. I'd call it what Kevin Halverson calls it - more "refined" bass.
The dynamic punch is there, but admittedly there could always be more of course!

But I'd recommend that pairing easily to anybody.

As for the 650's - I don't own a pair, but I tried a friend 600's (I believe they were 600's, are there 600's??
- SO many model numbers to remember) and they seemed light in the bass for sure w/ the microStreamer.
But I put that down to poor component synergy.

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #714 of 1,216
and it doesn't sound "bass-light" to me. I'd call it what Kevin Halverson calls it - more "refined" bass.
The dynamic punch is there, but admittedly there could always be more of course!

Mike, According to Mr. Speakers website, the Mad Dogs are closed.  The point of my conjecture is that with USB powered amps, if you want powerful bass you should stick to closed cans. This is the current opinion of one who hasn't actually listened to that many headphones.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #715 of 1,216
Yeah my 650s sounded too soft straight out of the uS. The MS HD, on the other hand... o_o

Quote:

As for the 650's - I don't own a pair, but I tried a friend 600's (I believe they were 600's, are there 600's??
- SO many model numbers to remember) and they seemed light in the bass for sure w/ the microStreamer.
But I put that down to poor component synergy.

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #716 of 1,216

Mike, According to Mr. Speakers website, the Mad Dogs are closed.  The point of my conjecture is that with USB powered amps, if you want powerful bass you should stick to closed cans. This is the current opinion of one who hasn't actually listened to that many headphones.

OH - 

Not necessarily though, and the fact that any amp is USB powered shouldn't matter much...
Its the output, the amp section, its power, damping, and how the circuit deals with separating the noise from the signal path.

You can actually, in many cases, get better bass response from open cans!
I know this may fly in the face of how you might see it now - and I TOTALLY GET THAT.
So I'm NOT shooting you down.

But put it this way - the fact that the MS even drives my Audeze LCD-3's to a dB level that feels realistic, not to mention the detail retrieval 
and imaging, wow! Now - I'm not saying the MS is the perfect mate for the Audeze LCD-3 - but when I reviewed the MS
I HAD to point out that this lil brick could drive those phones well enough for me to take the MS and LCD-3's to Hawaii w/ me on vacation!!
I needed to show something - that no matter what powers an amp, USB, AC, it's how things are executed that matters.

And when it comes to bass. Ask my good friend and mod here @warrenpchi  - and others, you can often find bass just as deep, if not deeper
through open cans! And YES the Mad Dogs are closed! They were the first closed orthodynamic headphone I heard and loved, because it sounded closer
to my Audeze LCD-3! But they also gave my wife some peace and quiet (I write/work from home).

So all I'm saying is don't rush to generalize, like with USB powered DAC/amps.
The Light Harmonic GEEK puts out a clean watt and it BLEW US AWAY at RMAF!!
Driving my LCD-3's, playing Nirvana's "Come as You Are"!!

That MAY be the one that unseats the MS for me. It's the strongest contender!!

but for now I'm still blown away at the microStreamers sonic capabilities...

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #718 of 1,216
Oh man, I knew I should've jumped on the early boat with this one...whats the MSRP going to be like?

Quote:
  OH - 

Not necessarily though, and the fact that any amp is USB powered shouldn't matter much...
Its the output, the amp section, its power, damping, and how the circuit deals with separating the noise from the signal path.

You can actually, in many cases, get better bass response from open cans!
I know this may fly in the face of how you might see it now - and I TOTALLY GET THAT.
So I'm NOT shooting you down.

But put it this way - the fact that the MS even drives my Audeze LCD-3's to a dB level that feels realistic, not to mention the detail retrieval 
and imaging, wow! Now - I'm not saying the MS is the perfect mate for the Audeze LCD-3 - but when I reviewed the MS
I HAD to point out that this lil brick could drive those phones well enough for me to take the MS and LCD-3's to Hawaii w/ me on vacation!!
I needed to show something - that no matter what powers an amp, USB, AC, it's how things are executed that matters.

And when it comes to bass. Ask my good friend and mod here @warrenpchi  - and others, you can often find bass just as deep, if not deeper
through open cans! And YES the Mad Dogs are closed! They were the first closed orthodynamic headphone I heard and loved, because it sounded closer
to my Audeze LCD-3! But they also gave my wife some peace and quiet (I write/work from home).

So all I'm saying is don't rush to generalize, like with USB powered DAC/amps.
The Light Harmonic GEEK puts out a clean watt and it BLEW US AWAY at RMAF!!
Driving my LCD-3's, playing Nirvana's "Come as You Are"!!

That MAY be the one that unseats the MS for me. It's the strongest contender!!

but for now I'm still blown away at the microStreamers sonic capabilities...

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #719 of 1,216
believe its $200-300 depending on model

Users who are viewing this thread

Back