Sonic Impact T-AMP as a head amp...
Aug 1, 2008 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Super Funk

New Head-Fier
Hi all.
two years ago i introduced myself to a very cheap way of enjoy HI FI performances (at least in my opinion). i bought myself a t-amp and liked so much that i started to tweak it and then bought a Trends Audio based on the same Tripath technology but with emproved components and design.

a superb review is here:T-Amp - Class T integrated amplifier - [English]

now i am wondering if this cheap (and very small) little amp, could work enough well on the higher load of the Headphones...

i know it is not bridgeable and it is not possible to put the two ground together, but if used with a cable for each ear pad, may be is worth a try... what do you think of it, guys?
do you know if the difference in terms of currend needed, is much betwen headphones and speakers?

Regards, Fra

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 11
This has been discussed a lot on this board, and the general consensus is it's not a good idea.

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 11
I think it would work better with something like a K1000 just because they were meant to be driven by speaker amps, though it likely wont work great. If you need the speaker amp nature, why not get the T-Amp Gen-2 from Sonic Impact which also has a headphone out jack.

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 11
Don't bother with the SI T-Amp v2. I have one (and a v1 as well, which are now impossible to find), and with my ancient KLH speakers (circa 1964) and the Zune80, the sound is fantastic. With headphones, blah. Just not a headphone amp.

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 11
I use a T-amp to drive my Stax SR-Lambda, works and sounds great.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't bother with the SI T-Amp v2. I have one (and a v1 as well, which are now impossible to find), and with my ancient KLH speakers (circa 1964) and the Zune80, the sound is fantastic. With headphones, blah. Just not a headphone amp.

My experience w/ a v2 (battery or ac) & ath-w1000's was not very good either (although not bad w/ Altec 604E speakers).

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 11
wow... it sounds like i am better to use that money differently...

only a question about it: if i will get bored and will like to just give it a try, will I risk to damage my Trends Audio?

Regards, Fra

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 11
Depends on your headphones.
There have been several reports that the T-Amp are a quite nice match with the AKG K1000, and even driving some vintage Stax through an energizer.

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those aren't typical "headphones" though, so they're out of the equation. I'd hope anyone that has those already knows they can use speaker amps, anyway.

"Typical" or not, they are still headphones (music reproducers to wear on your head).
Meaning that the T-Amp can be used to drive headphones.

No specific type of headphones were mentioned by the OP...

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 11
A mate of mine and I designed a headphone amp using the T-Amp IC. The 1st thing to note is that the IC is designed for bridged output, whilst headphones have a common ground. So we had to use a bit of electronics engineering to ge the thing to work. The T-Amp IC is noisy, very noisy. The headphone sound accuracy was also extremely disappointing. But output levels were the highest that I have ever measured at 7Vrms. The amp could even drive a set of Stax electrostatics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back