Sonic Impact from Sonic Impact
Mar 8, 2005 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
For some reason, a few Sonic Impact T-amps showed up on the SI-5.com site last week at $39, and knowing the current short supply, I bit. Ended up being $45 shipped (vs. say $30 shipped from a $20 discounter). The nice thing is that for the extra $15, I got those cardboard SoundPax speakers and a carry-bag/backpack for them.

Not bad.

Don't know if they'll pop up again, but I am glad I did it...maybe keep an eye out if you're interested.

Just the sound coming from the cardboard speakers let me know that this WAS in fact something special...even though you have to "listen through" the subpar transduction method. I will be using these with some Fostex FE206E speakers (96dB efficiency
smily_headphones1.gif
) in DIY enclosures, so I'm excited.

- Matt

Mar 8, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 3
Hey Matt,

I recently did the same for a friend. The SI site is the only place that has them in stock. I currently have an SI which I have put in a Par-Metal case and it is really a marvel. I have it running some AKG K-1000s with 6ohm resistors on the outputs. Nice...

I would be interested in details for your Fostex single driver speaker. Is there a web site for the plans?

Thanks,

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt
For some reason, a few Sonic Impact T-amps showed up on the SI-5.com site last week at $39, and knowing the current short supply, I bit. Ended up being $45 shipped (vs. say $30 shipped from a $20 discounter). The nice thing is that for the extra $15, I got those cardboard SoundPax speakers and a carry-bag/backpack for them.

Not bad.

Don't know if they'll pop up again, but I am glad I did it...maybe keep an eye out if you're interested.

Just the sound coming from the cardboard speakers let me know that this WAS in fact something special...even though you have to "listen through" the subpar transduction method. I will be using these with some Fostex FE206E speakers (96dB efficiency
smily_headphones1.gif
) in DIY enclosures, so I'm excited.

- Matt

Mar 9, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 3
The Fostex FE206E enclosures are the "secret" ones from oldhifi.com which I got free with the purchase of the drivers. The big secret? 10" x 10" x 36" (external dimensions) with 3/4" material.

You put a porthole in front of a certain size a certain distance from the base, using that 3/4" thick material (Baltic Birch plywood recommended, otherwise MDF...I will be using Home Depot-style birch plywood, roughly 10-ply, as that's all I can get my hands on locally that is reasonably priced and reasonably attractive).

The plans described above are for the "1.3" enclosure on oldhifi.com. The drivers are meant for a BLH enclosure, but he swears up and down that these bass reflexes are the cat's ass, so I'm willing to suspend disbelief, especially if it saves me the bother of screwing with ridiculously complex BLH-style enclosures.

It would be cool to have front-horn style stuff, but the cheapest kit out there started at like $300, so forget that. I want an uber-low cost DIY speaker/T-amp/Home Depot speaker cable setup.

I also bought the Remote 3 kit from dantimax.dk to build a 5-input, remote-controlled passive preamp for input switching. Should be sweet: discrete codes on inputs (1 - 5) for easy remote macro programming, remote volume with a motorized Alps Blue pot, mute function, tape out, etc.

http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/index.html (click on "Remote 3")

I also have Sennheiser wireless IR headphones, so that will go on the tape out...MAN, this unit is sweet!

I am excited!

Best,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back