Songs You've Been Activating Track-Repeat For Lately
Jun 10, 2004 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39
Sometimes a song works its way into a temporary state of addiction with me, and I have to listen to it again....and again, and again, and again. It might be the melody, the lyrics, or both -- or sometimes even just a small section of the song that I'd sit through the rest of the track just to hear again and again.

For example, today, when I was listening to Allison Moorer's live album Show, the song "Yessirree" took its turn in order, and, just before the end of the track, I activated the CD player's track-repeat function. I let it repeat at least three or four times. Whether the place actually exists or not I have no idea, but I'm in this watering hole called the Blue Moon Tap Room for the duration of that track, and letting it repeat lets me hang out with Allison and her friends in that tavern for a while.

Here's what I bet is a currently popular selection for repeating: I've been repeating Modest Mouse's popular "Float On" from their Good News for People Who Love Bad News album. The music is a romp, but the lyrics are what has me laughing hard inside every time I hear the track, as they're so painfully upbeat and optimistic that I can't tell if they're actually poking fun of upbeat, optimistic people, or if Isaac Brock was just having an exceptionally good day when he wrote it. Lately, I've found myself running through this one twice every time I hear it -- maybe because it's such a groovy start-of-summer tune at the start of summer.

And my last frequent repeat lately is David Gray's "Shine" from A Century Ends, a gorgeous, wistful song that has been a favorite of mine since the very first time I heard it. After the second chorus, he background scream-sings "SHINE!" which mildly lifts the song's energy through to the end. The whole song is nothing short of beautiful, but it's that part -- that one-word part -- that drags me back for the third or fourth repeat listen.

What've you been repeating?

_____

Jun 10, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 39
'The Prize of Beauty' from 'Songs of Darkness, Words of Light' (2004) by 'My Dying Bride'.

When played, I am helpless to resist the repeat button half way through the song.
Gets about six plays at ever increasing volume, 'till the room begins to vibrate.

Jun 10, 2004 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 39
I do this a lot with tracks that I kept skipping over on every time I listen to a certain album, and one day when I don't automatically skip a certain track I find out that I like it after all. But lately it's been mainly old favorites that I haven't listened to for a while.

Covenant "Bullet" from Northern Light (2002). Good vocal work and a nice rythym. One of maybe 4 tracks that are actually good on this album, the rest are a bit dull.

Decoded Feedback "Democracy" from Shockwave (2003). Mainly just the rythym, the vocals are almost incomprehensible because of the vocal distortion used.

Project Pitchfork "Inferno" from Trialog (2002). Nice instrumental work, very good vocals and lyrics. The whole EP is quite good, but this one stands out as being the best on there.

Numb "****hammer" from Death on the Installment Plan (1993). Yes, that seriously is the name of the song. I don't particularly care for the rest of the album, but this song has great vocal effects, sound effects, and an awesome bassline. One of the best industrial tracks ever made.

Fiction 8 "Stasis" from Chaotica (2000). You don't hear an actual violin playing on an electronic song very often, but that's what dominates this track. There isn't much of a beat to this song, and the electronic sounds generally stay in the background, this is a nice song to relax to.

Jun 10, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 39
Perhaps not on loop repeat... but I've been transfixed with Fugazi's "Waiting Room" for the past couple of days. It's got such a catchy bass hook that the rest of the song builds on.

Jun 10, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 39
Amon Tobin -- Like Regular Chickens

Ennio Morricone -- On Earth as it is in Heaven

Yoko Kanno -- Fish ~ Silent Cruise

Jun 10, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 39
hmmmmm - let's see....

Artist - Album - Song

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over - Hotel California - best version of this song I've ever heard and it's live.

Lifehouse - No Name Face - Hanging By A Moment - I love the "growl" at the beginning and end of this song and the Lifehouse vocals in general.

Loreena McKennitt - The Book Of Secrets - Skellig - this just sounds phenomenal on headphones - on Ety ER4 it is heaven - this song alone almost made me buy the ER4 (my wallet cried "Uncle!")

Jun 10, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 39
Paul McCartney and Wings - Band on the Run - Mrs Vanderbilt I'm a sucker for the bass line!

Jun 10, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 39
Three that I can't seem to get enough of (lately)....
Felix da Housecat - Ready 2 wear from Devon Dazzle and the Neon Fever...
Abyssinia Infinite - Alesema from Zion Roots...
and
Youcef Boukella - Salem (Peace) from Andy Kershaw's More Great Moments in Vinyl History

Jun 10, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 39
Falling Leaves - Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 39
I can't get the Scriabin Op. 28 Fantasie out of my head! I've had the Sofronitsky version on repeat, but I also like the very slow interpretation by Gwynneth Chen.
k1000smile.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 39
Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
Nothing Else Matters- Metallica
Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
Layla - Eric Clapton
Ti Adoro - Pavarotti
Neapolis - Pavarotti
Caruso - Pavarotti
Figaro - Pavarotti
Vivere - Andrea Bocelli
Macchine Da Guerra - Andrea Bocelli
Unforgettable - Nat King Cole
Caminando Por La Calle - Gypsy Kings

man...what a list...I could go on and on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back