Songs you liked in low bitrate and hated when listening in high quality
Jan 14, 2008 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bangdebang

New Head-Fier
Do you have example of songs that you liked in low bitrate and hated when listening in high quality or the contrary?

Happens to me a lot, Im like damn why did they put this tiny sound that destroy the whole song, and of course you can only hear this tiny sound with hd600s/grados headphones
biggrin.gif

Sometimes I wish I still had the white Ipods earphones
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 14
that happened to me when i got a highend sound card now what totally changed my type of music to classical music
smily_headphones1.gif
and live + unplugged stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 14
Some of the songs produced with high compression sound great to me on the radio, but terrible at home. I loved Red Hot Chili Pepper's 'Californication' album, until I realized that every time I listened to it on a CD player it made my head hurt halfway through the album.

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 14
I remember taping a radio show years ago and loving a track on there. When I got the CD it was so thin sounding. I wanted the noise back! Btw, cassette really strikes me as an ancient word/thing.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 14
Don't know if this falls under the exact same category. But when Metallica's St.Anger was gonna come out, there was a site that was streaming very low bitrates of the songs on the album. At that time, I used to like them quite a bit, so I heard those songs over and over and was always thinking, "Man this lower bitrate really sounds horrible, can't wait for the cd". Expectations were even higher since, their last couple of records were all recorded really well IMO.

Then I went and bought the cd the day it came out, came home and put it in my Sony Bookshelf, and I was :O, it sounded exactly like the lower bitrate stream. I hated the album after that cos I was really mad, and I havent heard it since.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 14
Hmmm... not sure about low-bitrate, but some really old classical recordings (1950 or earlier) sound better overall when I use a low-fi setup like the standard car speakers than when I use a hi-fi setup.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 14
Gotta agree with legatedm, jilgiljongiljing, and Apocalypsee. Seems to happen with the overcompressed rock, the low bitrate smears the guitars into that deeper growl making the sound aggressive. Most recent letdown was hearing He Is Legend's "Attack of the Dungeonwitch" on internet radio. Sounded great until I picked up the cd.

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #11 of 14
Pretty much all the early Guided By Voices catalog, pre "second incarnation". Deliberately lo-fi, they were, and pretty much pointless-to-frustrating listening on any thing even remotely "high-end".

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #12 of 14
Not so much with going from low to high bitrate... but I remember the first time I listened to Coheed & Cambria on good headphones I felt like the sound was really forward and lacking weight. The first time I heard a headphone with wicked imaging it made me realize how small some recordings sound.

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 14
really crappy recordings will sound better at a lower bit rate. other than that, can't think of how lower would be better than higher.

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 14
I'm not particularly picky. I can enjoy good music even out of a tin can. I do believe that what I consider a good system will play high and low bitrates well though. I'd still take the higher end system on lower bitrate than lower end system with higher bitrate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back