Songs that really sound great on good headphones, tell me!
Sep 22, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #46 of 55
I recently switched to headphones as my primary source for listening to music. So, I've been going back over my collection. I also like Dave Brubecks Timeout album through headphones. Some others I've found exceptional are:

Sera Una Noche , Ma Records (The woodwinds and guitars are absolutely phenomenal)
Blues Dream , Bill Frisell
Autumn Leaves , Jacintha
Copland 100 , Eijie Oue and the MO

Sep 22, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #47 of 55
My favorite song to listen to on headphones is track number 6 on "Crash" by Dave Matthews Band. The first minute and a half of drums is unbelievable. You have to try it if you haven't already. It alone will justify all the money you have spent on headphones, believe me.

Sep 23, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #48 of 55
Creed's song "One" off of My Own Prison is especially cool through my Etys. I don't know what effect they use, but it makes you feel like something is seriously messed up in your ears.
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #49 of 55
Enya's Watermark - listen for the really low bass of some of the instruments. There's a pleasant clicking sound from a clarinet player (I think) on the song On your Shore.

Mark Knopfler's Sailing To Philadelphia (HDCD) - title track 2nd song has really nice vocals with James Taylor. I just love Knopfler's guitar signature sound & tone on this album.

Sheryl Crow and Friends Live from Central Park - Her voice is so high but smooth & sweet sounding. Sounds amazing live. Highlights; Strong Enough (with Dixie Chicks), Great song with lovely vocal contrast; Tombstone Blues, listen for Keith Richard's guitar work.. you know it's him playing!

Sting's All This Time - Another live album, recorded on Sept 11 in Italy. Fun listening to the background, imagining yourself there at the dining tables with wine glasses, fine food & Sting crooning.

All the CDs mentioned are on heavy rotation at my bedside rig (Porta). I think these 4 would be the ones I'd pick for that question, "What if you were left on a desert island... "
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 8:12 AM Post #51 of 55
max graham - falling together
mauro picotto - hong kong
james holden - solstice
nerva - scorpion
poltergeist - vicious circles (max graham remix)
sasha - bloodlock

please, please do yourself a favour and give these tracks a listen to, especially if you're not a big fan of electronic music, just to see what some of the best in the genre are, and how sometimes synthetic truly is better
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #52 of 55
a new one that is definitely worth experiencing on good cans is 'stephane k - numb' . sounds like a tesla coil surging jigawatts in between your ears, deep dark dirty evil internal organ rearranging bass.

Oct 18, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #54 of 55
"Anything by Jean-Michel Jarre, but especially the first three albums:

Oxygene
Equinoxe
Les Chants Magnetique (Magnetic Fields)"

I would have to second Dusty Chalk. Those three Jarre Disc's are perhaps my all time Fav's. I have listened to them since thay were introduced and alot of the time on headphones. These Recordings sound good on Loudspeakers However you have to hear these on Headphones to get the Full Effect. I also would like to add two anothers of my long time Jarre Fav's to the above list

Houston Lyon and the Concerts in china.

Oct 18, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #55 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by poorimpulsectrl
<snip>
please, please do yourself a favour and give these tracks a listen to, especially if you're not a big fan of electronic music, just to see what some of the best in the genre are, and how sometimes synthetic truly is better
smily_headphones1.gif

best in the genre? that's a very broad and sweeping statement there. For dance/club music then yes maybe so. but certainly not for electronic music in general.

Electronic music is a very very broad term. Please be just a tad more specific. (not saying that the music you listed is bad or anything - it's far from it.. but saying it's the best just irked me)

But back on topic - For something a bit different have a listen to some somatic responses tracks. Their older stuff isn't the best imo but their newer stuff is quite nice.

Aphex twin is always great on headphones. Very varied and interesting tracks that have stuff all across the frequency range. Great listening on any system really.

I never was a fan but Fear Factory also sound quite good on headphones. atm i'm particularly taken with their track edgecrusher.

I'd also have to third
wink.gif
dusty chalks suggestion of Jean Michel Jarre's music. Some of the very first electronica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back