Songs like Freddie Freeloader
Sep 6, 2009 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

coredump

500+ Head-Fier
I'm need some recomendations for Jazz songs similar to Miles Davis Freddie Freeloader. I'm looking for songs that have the double bass and make you want to bob your head.

Thanks

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 5
A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
Haitian Fight Song - Charles Mingus
Raining on the Moon - William Parker (an amazing album imho)

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 5
Hmmm…since to me it's not really the bass that stands out on that track, might it be a safe guess that the OP doesn't listen to much music with what we call "walking" bass? The easiest suggestion would be to just delve further into Miles Davis's catalog. He employed unbelievable bassists; Paul Chambers is on "Freddie Freeloader", but if you find tracks with Ron Carter or Percy Heath, try those also.

I'm gonna suggest another fine record by a trumpeter that might be what the OP is looking for:

Clifford Brown and Max Roach
Maybe sample tunes like "Delilah", "Joy Spring" or "Jordu"; they represent some of bassist George Morrow's best work.

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 5
True enough. I was thinking of the opening where Jimmy Garrison sets up the initial "a love supreme" chant-like bass line, though it doesn't stay consistent or walk through the whole piece, or even that section (Acknowledgment). For some reason, I had that in my head. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "So What" where the bass line drives the song a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back