songs for testing headphones?
Apr 8, 2004 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

h3nG

100+ Head-Fier
hey, what songs do you guys listen to when testing a new set of headphones?

any particular songs that really stands out?

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 16
In general, the best songs for testing gear are those you know really well. If you want to check a certain aspect of the sound (bass, dynamics, soundstage, whatever) it never hurts to have music that emphasizes the thing you want to evaluate.

I like to use pipe organ, vocals, some jazz, pop or rock with plenty of (good) bass and percussion, some solo guitar and piano, and some strings, but that's most of what I often listen to anyway.

Apr 8, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 16
Instead of trying for a system that "stays true to the original", just listen to the music that you enjoy most and have the most experience with. Some headphones will emphasize different aspects of a song than others; it's up to you to decide which version is more engaging and enjoyable.

Also, don't get too caught up in it, or you could be taking away from some of the enjoyment. Once you've settled on a headphone, stop thinking about it! You should be thinking about the music when you listen to it, not what another $500 purchase would sound like.

Apr 8, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 16
for detail and clarity, Radiohead's "Karma Police" is pretty good.

Apr 8, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 16
I use a mixture of classics, vocal, pop and dance music to audition audio gears.

Telarc's Tchaicovsky: 1812 overture and Hilary Hahn's Brahams/Stravinsky concertos are very good at showing how much resolving power, how high/low can a system reproduce. Violin will sound thin and/or lilfeless on lesser playback system without much of details.

Of course, you will need a vocal. I second with Diana Krall's Love Scenes, but I would add Norah Jones (since I already know flaws in the recording itself).

For more dynamic tracks, try Heart's Alive in Seattle (both CD and SACD version, one of the best sounding live album I've heard), Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Eric Clapton's MTV unplugged, Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (SACD Deluxe Edition) and Queen's A night at the opera (DVDA).

I made a demo CD of my own using some (not all) of the songs listed above with THX bass test track. My demo CD also served me well for burn-in purpose as well
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by go_vtec

For more dynamic tracks, try Heart's Alive in Seattle (both CD and SACD version, one of the best sounding live album I've heard)

I love that SACD, isn't it a great live album? reminds me a Heart concert I attended in Seattle more than 20 years ago.

Cheers,
W

Apr 8, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 16
GuineaMcPig and phonatic make good points about using music that you know well and enjoy. My favourite testing CDs are Vivaldi's The Four Seasons (Yehudi Menuhin) and Dvorak's No. 4 & No. 8 (Stephen Gunzenhauser). Not only do I enjoy them immenseley, but I also am very familiar with them. I try to use them whenever I test a new system.

... which reminds me that I'm testing TrevorNetwork's HP-2s tonight. I'd better get those CDs out...

D.

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 16
I've been using Don Dorseys "Bachbusters" on Telarc a lot lately.
Tocacata & Fugue in D minor has a little bit of everything, highs, mids, and some room shaking bass.

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #12 of 16
I second Diana Krall "love stories", I also like the Corrs (great recordings for a bit of groove). Natalie Cole "unforgetable" will test out female vocal ability as well.

Testing out classical is more problematic I find. There are many good violin recordings but I only have one decent sounding piano recording by Naxos, I think its called Beethoven famous piano concertos No.2(Waldstein and Tempest are on it). But of course song 6 on Diana Krall's album has some terrific piano.

Tubular bells really can test out a cans ability to do electronica... my portapros are unbearable with this, my etys make me just about weep...

And of course, as has been said here earlier, be familiar with whatever you choose.

What do people think is the best "rock" to test out a system? I can never decide...

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by TonyTripleA

What do people think is the best "rock" to test out a system? I can never decide...

Cheers,

TonyAAA

There are very few rock recordings that I would recommend for critical evaluation. Many suffer from the being recorded too loud and there is no head room left for louder sections resulting in clipping. Many also suffer from distortion, some planned some not. If I were to pick one favorite to use it would be Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Couldn't stand the Weather" or possibly some Pink Floyd. I think rock music is better when it is just enjoyed and not held up to critical audiophile like scrutiny.

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 16
i'm partial to "Breaking Silence" -- Janis Ian.

whether one likes the lyrics, or not (i do), it is the cleanest sound i've found on a pop CD. if some part of your system is not up to snuff, you'll hear something bad. if not, you won't.

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 16
I often use Yes's Close to the Edge. In the first few minutes there is a lot of sound, so it's good with testing the headphone's (and system's) ability to reproduce each instrument distinctly. Also, there is this very light kick drum (I think) that, with most systems that I've heard, sounds like the drummer is tapping on cardboard, but on some systems it actually sounds like a drum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back