Songbird v iTunes v Cog v ??
Dec 9, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by chowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lack of FLAC support?

A simple add-on component are needed to allow iTunes to play FLAC files.
wink.gif

Fluke: iFLAC your Mac

Would probably be more convenient to use 'Max' to convert the FLAC files to Apple Lossless though. .

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #32 of 38
FLAC->ALAC is a rapid one-time conversion - hardly a deal-breaker - but I have to say that playback of Apple Lossless via iTunes in a Windows environment left me underwhelmed. By contrast, AIFF via iTunes on a Mac is sensational.

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because iTunes is mainstream and for "consumers", we like to be "special" here. We don't like to use stuff that's easier, even if it sounds the same.

Actually, there is a great difference in sound in Windows between iTunes (AAC), and a well setup bitperfect system with FLAC, Foobar, ASIO. You do need a quality DAC, AMP and headphone to really appreciate how much better it is, but it is.

Fortunately for MAC users, iTunes can play ALAC/AIFF files through the built in optical output in bitperfect straight to the outboard DAC.

I guess I am another person who can't tell the difference between bitperfect out from different players. You can't beat iTunes for convenience if you have a MAC and use iPods. Other players are a whole different story. I don't use iTunes on my Windows machines for quality listening.

Good call! On just about every point: compressed audio (AAC) bad, uncompressed (FLAC/AIFF/ALAC) good; iTunes on PC = OK; iTunes on Mac = tool of choice ne plus ultra.

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by hubsand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FLAC->ALAC is a rapid one-time conversion - hardly a deal-breaker - but I have to say that playback of Apple Lossless via iTunes in a Windows environment left me underwhelmed. By contrast, AIFF via iTunes on a Mac is sensational.

My biggest grip with iTune (under WinXP) is its sluggish performance. Everything feels slow. Furthermore, I'm not a fan of its interface, it feels outdated. The new Grid View is a step in the right direction though, hopefully they'll fix the performance issue in the near future.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #35 of 38
We should turn this thread back to audio playback applications for Mac OS X.

I have tried most players out there:
* Play
* Cog
* Songbird
* VLC
* Audion 3
* iTunes
* Probably more...

And always returned to iTunes, for its great library, iPod integration, features, and such. I am here to stay!
smile.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #36 of 38
I normally listen to analog only but since 96/24 downloads have become available I listen to these flac files sometimes. I tried a few media players and most were buggy. I settled on Play since it was really simple and it sounds pretty good. I did miss the bells and whistles of iTunes though (especially the Front Row remote).
I just downloaded Songbird's latest and I think it'll eventually replace some of the luxury items and look that I miss. There are lots of "add ons" so you can customize the features and look just like Firefox and missing features are supposed to be coming (cd burning,.. I never used iTunes for this very much anyway since I have several pro audio editing/production app's for that).
For those instances that I listen to digital, I think Songbird will be fine.
BTW Since I started listening to 96/24, my SACD player never gets used,.. poor thing.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We should turn this thread back to audio playback applications for Mac OS X.

I have tried most players out there:
* Play
* Cog
* Songbird
* VLC
* Audion 3
* iTunes
* Probably more...

And always returned to iTunes, for its great library, iPod integration, features, and such. I am here to stay!
smile.gif

me too. although I like cog (and use it for APE), I never liked VLC for music. I use it for videos that won't play in QT, but the sound is not that great, dunno. in the end, I do like to find stuff in my 128GB library in iTunes. I also like the squeeze-interface, but it basically uses iTunes and is less navigable.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #38 of 38
I keep cog current, but itunes with Fluke works so immensely well for me that I need nothing else.

I have multiple ipods and an iphone though, so I'm pretty integrated into their plan for world domination.

If I could use remote with any other player, i might entertain the idea. As it is, I just sit down in my listening chair, connect to remote with my iphone, and wirelessly browse and play my entire library. Truly, nothing could be better than this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back