Songbird RC1
Nov 8, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 5
Nice! I had not noticed that Songbird 1.0 RC1 was released three days ago.
Songbird certainly have improved a lot recently, especially with the new (non-black) UI. So I wish them the best for their 1.0 release..
biggrin.gif

Edit: I really don't like their new application icon (Sennheiser HD595).
songbirdzp8.png

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Does it feature gapless playback yet? I tested it few months ago (version 0.6 pre 1) and it was horrible in every possible way. I'll translate some parts I wrote in May:

Quote:

Sloooooow, memory hogging and worst of all: didn't feature gapless playback at all. It was the library that made me try it and it was okay, but the playlisting was bad. If I put something playing, where's it playing? Has it formed a playlist or what? I don't get it. I don't want it to play everything I've searched for, I want to search for something and then import it to playlist which I am playing. It doesn't help it's written on javascript and has different kinds of problems with playback. If I have keywords defined, browsing lists is very slow.

And it doesn't support or take notice on CD numbers so if I have a double album, it happily mixes the tracks. The track numbering had some issues as well; it wants to sort tracks by names.

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 5
Yeah, it seems to have gapless playback (although it did import my Itunes library, so not sure if maybe it got gapless info via that). Will have to try with a direct import.

I think it's very much based on Itunes, and in that respect doesn't have an obvious playlist screen (such as in Winamp for example), but I guess I'm used to Itunes so that doesn't bother me.

But searching is much much quicker than it was in previous versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back