song titles in literature
Nov 2, 2003 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Riordan

500+ Head-Fier
i'm currently reading "girlfriend in a coma" by douglas coupland. the book is wonderful and there's some funny easter eggs for music fans nestled in there: song titles and lines by the smiths... not as simple quotes but used as fairly central parts of the dialogue or descriptions, woven into the narrative at crucial points. this might sound corny or awkward, but it's not. it fits.

among the titles i've noticed so far are "bigmouth strikes again", "back to the old house", "that joke isn't funny anymore", "hand in gloves", "half a person", "has the world changed or have i changed" - but there are many more.

do any of you know similar examples? i'm pretty sure that this is nothing new and someone must have already put dozens of dylan lines into his or her book...

Nov 2, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Riordan
i'm currently reading "girlfriend in a coma" by douglas coupland. the book is wonderful and there's some funny easter eggs for music fans nestled in there: song titles and lines by the smiths... not as simple quotes but used as fairly central parts of the dialogue or descriptions, woven into the narrative at crucial points. this might sound corny or awkward, but it's not. it fits.

among the titles i've noticed so far are "bigmouth strikes again", "back to the old house", "that joke isn't funny anymore", "hand in gloves", "half a person", "has the world changed or have i changed" - but there are many more.

do any of you know similar examples? i'm pretty sure that this is nothing new and someone must have already put dozens of dylan lines into his or her book...

That was a great book, I had them written down somewhere, I think I came up with like 15 or so.. Maybe I wrote them in the back of the book, I'll have to look..

-jar

Nov 3, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 8
Warren Ellis puts Pixies quotes in his works. Off the top of my head, "Wave of Mutilation" in Transmet and "All Over the World" in Planetary. They're comic books, btw, but I think that still counts. They're really good comic books.

Nov 5, 2003 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 8
I know Stephen King is a big rock'n'roller...but the only quote that I remember is from Insomnia:

"...He was in the court of the Crimson King."

Nov 5, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 8
Well, going the other way around, Hans Christian Andersen has a fairy tale called "Everything In Its Right Place." Not sure if the Radiohead song by the same name has anything to do with the story, but it's still a pretty weird coincidence.

Nov 5, 2003 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 8
masonjar - based on this thread AND on our signatures we seem to agree on who to quote
smily_headphones1.gif

i'm not quite through with "girlfriend in a coma" yet, but it seems that after the end of the world there's a shift from the smiths to post-breakup morissey ("the last of the famous international playboys" and "everyday is like sunday") - interestingly the theme of loneliness deepens here...

truant - of course comic books count - there could be some song titles in alan moore's "watchmen" and "v for vendetta", i'll have to read those again...

dusty - actually when i read "insomnia" i hadn't heard of king crimson (it was head-fi that fixed this). at the time i thought this reference was a wink toward horror author robert w. chambers - who wrote "the king in yellow", which I'm pretty sure was the actual name-giver for king crimson and that album title which in turn inspired king's quote...

so it IS a circle and guineaMcpig is probably right. by the way fairy tales most definitely count, too - though i doubt there'll be many song titles there...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 8
http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promena...aphysical.html

I still think you're right about circles, though.

Oh, and I know Linsner and Gary Numan have a relationship of sorts -- Linsner did a cover for a Gary Numan CD, and then he incorporated the lyrics to a song into a strip...

Nov 6, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 8
circles in circles... that's actually some kind of spiral then
smily_headphones1.gif

evil satanic arabic rock'n'roll... who would have known...

by the way if i remember correctly stephen king does quote his favorite band (ramones) at least once, somewhere (maybe in "it"?) with "gabba gabba hey" - or is it the other way round again? wouldn't surprise me any more... :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back