song or CD
Jan 30, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Life is short, time is precious, why waste your time...

I agree with your premise. Quote:

...listening to weak tracks and try to learn to like/tolerate them.

Um, one word for you: Cradle of Filth? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you not like them on first listen? There are many many bands that I did not like on first listen: Aerosmith (specifically, Rocks), Talking Heads (Remain in Light), Skinny Puppy (my first one, Vivi Sect VI). Some of these have even gone on to become my favourites. Quote:

Better use of time to find new groups/music or listen to the good tracks on the next CD, don't be afraid of the progam/skip features of CDP remote......they are your friend.

Heh-heh. Yeah, I tried to do that on the new Garbage album. But several of my CD players do not have that, or do not remember that (Alesis Masterlink -- well, it sorta does, but you have to move the CD onto your hard drive, and I haven't upgraded the hard drive yet, so I keep running out of room -- Rega Planet). Quote:

When you set up your TV, did you program your remote to skip all the home shopping channels and religious stations, or do you try to watch them from time to time so you will learn to like them more?

Ooh, ouch, good point. Except -- I like to sample the religious stations. ("Injected with a poison!" -- one of the great all-time classic samples of all time.) And I originally programmed out the two country music video stations...until someone told me to check out this new gal Faith Hill. Mmm...just turn the sound down now. Quote:

I think many alt/rock CDs have one or more obviously weak tracks that can be passed over.

I agree. But some have differing opinion about what that track is, and whether or not it is really weak. For example, I was seeing this one girl once, and we were listening to my copy of Upstairs at Eric's at her place with a bunch of her friends over, and when the track "I Before E..." came on, everyone turned their heads -- they all hated that track, and had not recorded it when they taped it. I personally like that track, it's...disturbing/disturbed...but they wanted me to fast-forward through it, they hated it that much. Oh, well, there's no pleasing everybody.

Look, you may be good at deciding immediately whether or not you like something. I know and acknowledge that I am fickle, so I am willing to give songs chances.

Did you like Led Zeppelin III on first listen? I still hate that album -- program everything other than "Immigrant Song" out.

Jan 30, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #17 of 22
I hate those albums that have 2 or 3 great songs in front of 8 to 9 weak songs, no matter how good are the first three. I prefer an album full of plain good songs. A good example of the first case is GooGoo Dolls. I try the CD just because THAT beautiful song (Iris) and found all that stupid punk songs. That's a lie for the fans: to include a song so different to all that you do just to sell more copies.

Jan 30, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
For example, I was seeing this one girl once, and we were listening to my copy of Upstairs at Eric's at her place with a bunch of her friends over, and when the track "I Before E..." came on, everyone turned their heads -- they all hated that track, and had not recorded it when they taped it. I personally like that track, it's...disturbing/disturbed...but they wanted me to fast-forward through it, they hated it that much.

As a side note, that's one of my favorite albums of all time
wink.gif
The only songs I don't like are "Winter Kills" and "Goodbye Seventies"

Jan 30, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #20 of 22
I'm an album guy - I quite enjoy intrepreting an artist's message - and the better artists tend to have messages that span entire album(s).

Examples of albums i ONLY listen to all the way - unless I'm on a bus or something:

Trane: Ascension
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
Tool: Lateralus

Jan 31, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #21 of 22
I am not voting in the poll, because I do both.

Sometimes I just want to hear a specific song, or even just stick it on random (I particularly do this with mp3s as background music). Other times I need to sit through the whole album, or the listen is pointless.

Examples of the former: Moxy Fruvous, Apocalyptica, game music, Wumpscut, VNV Nation, Symphony X

Examples of the latter- Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, most classical, the list goes on
smily_headphones1.gif

Some stuff, like Dark Side of the Moon or Metropolis 2, is unlistenable to just pick out a track. Other songs stand much better on their own.

Feb 1, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
As a side note, that's one of my favorite albums of all time
wink.gif
The only songs I don't like are "Winter Kills" and "Goodbye Seventies"

Ack! "Winter Kills" is awesome! Did you ever see that SNL skit "...broccoli..."?

I could easily do an Alison Moyet tribute EP -- "Winter Kills", "This House", and an entire sequence from 'Alf' -- "Steal Me Blind"/"All Cried Out"/"Money Mile"/"Twisting the Knife"/"Where Hides Sleep". (If I had to keep it down to 4 tracks, I would do "All Cried Out" and maybe another Yaz track. Maybe "Goodbye Seventies" or "Bring Your Love Down (Didn't I)".)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back