song or CD
Jan 28, 2002 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Braver

Will upgrade headphoneswhen there's a MX600.
what kind of listener are you? do take an entire album at a time, track to track and cover to cover? or do you skip to your facvorites, make your own compilations and use random play? do songs stand alone or are they also part of a bigger piece of art?

Jan 28, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 22
I don't usually listen to entire albums, as I generally get in moods where I want to hear specific songs from different albums, which (when combined) act synergistically w/ my mood. So that also means I rarely use random play. Sometimes I'll listen all the way through... it depends on how strong the album is as a whole.

Jan 28, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 22
This is really the main reason I sold my Linn LP12 turntable in 1992, the ability of CDP to program tracks (and not have to flip over album). I would say about 25% of CDs I play straight though, but 75% I program to skip certain weak tracks. You need to develop some system to keep track what tracks you want to play for each CD, which is a simple matter.

Also I never use the random play feature.

Jan 28, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 22
I used to be a single song person, now I only try and buy albums I can listen to all the way through (why settle for less?). If there is an particularly annoying song -- that's what the advance track button is made for. But I don't take the time to program.

Jan 29, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 22
I don't buy albums where I have to pick songs to listen too, I buy album where I have to picks songs not to listen too...

I just keep the remote near by...

Jan 29, 2002 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 22
The best albums are an organic whole. Each song flows to the next. Removing a song here or there drastically impacts the effect of the album. This is one reason I like radiohead so much. They have many very good songs, but what makes them great is their ability to string a series of good songs together in an aesthetically pleasing whole. This makes the whole album a joy to listen to. And of course, there are always going to be a few duds on some albums, but as was said, you can't win them all....fast forward (though to be honest, I very rarely skip a track...I just listen to them all. One exception would be Cherry Chapstick on Yo La Tengo's And Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out...it starts off so well, then it just goes into ****ty distortion crap....oh well.). Ahem, yes, so albums it is.

Jan 29, 2002 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

The best albums are an organic whole. Each song flows to the next

Unfortunately, these are few and far between. Radiohead and Dark Side Of The Moon are good examples. But most CD's are filled up to the brim just because the space allows 74+ minutes, so you end up with a piece of unlistenable inconsistent crap. So I pick and choose and record the good tracks onto an MD. LP's? I can listen to those all the way through each side. Back when they actually made "albums", not filler.

Jan 29, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 22
I definitely listen to entire albums. I don't always like something on first listen.

Jan 29, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 22
Entire cds for me, if theres a weak track program it out.

Ever tried listening to some Prog rock concept cds on Random? Thats really confusing....
confused.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by davidcotton
Ever tried listening to some Prog rock concept cds on Random? Thats really confusing....
confused.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

lol!

Jan 29, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
I definitely listen to entire albums. I don't always like something on first listen.

Dusty, ain't that the truth. What's more, I often find that some of the better albums I have, the ones I can listen to over and over again, are ones that I didn't like at first. They didn't have the "catch" that some single have. Conversely, some of the albums that I liked at first (they were catchy) grate on me after a while
wink.gif

Pete Yorn's album was like that. When I first bought it, I listened a couple times and nothing jumped out at me, and then I forgot about it. I started listening again this month, and it's really a great album.

Jan 30, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk

Agreed 100%

Jan 30, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 22
Life is short, time is precious, why waste your time listening to weak tracks and try to learn to like/tolerate them. Better use of time to find new groups/music or listen to the good tracks on the next CD, don't be afraid of the progam/skip features of CDP remote......they are your friend.

When you set up your TV, did you program your remote to skip all the home shopping channels and religious stations, or do you try to watch them from time to time so you will learn to like them more?

I think many alt/rock CDs have one or more obviously weak tracks that can be passed over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back