Song...Gap...Song
Feb 10, 2004 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jack963

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I;ve been ripping/encoding a bunch of Ogg files recently with the RMM software which is inlcued with the Karma. Anyways, on some CD's, artists, especially on the last track, have like a 4 minute song, a gap of like 10-15 minutes, and then another 3 minute song or something like that. That extra 10-15 minutes takes up quite a bit of space, so these end up being pretty large files. What I am wondering is if there is any encoder out there or other program which will allow you to either chop it up and splice the two parts of the track with actual audio, or to chop it up and just leave it as 2 separate songs. I just really want to eliminate that gap, not only because it takes up extra space, but also because it is a pain to have to advance through the track during these songs when I am listening to music. Also, like I said, I've been using the RMM software, will other encoders do a better job? Or are they all pretty much the same? Thanks a lot for any input.

Oh yeah, I don;t know if I am crazy or what, but when I first started encoding Ogg files, it seemed like whatever the length of the song was, the file size was always one meg less...3:something song was usually 2.something megs, 4:something song was usually 3.something megs. Now, it seems to be the opposite. Can two songs of the same length be different sizes? Should Ogg files usually by in that apttern (1 meg less than the minute number)? Thanks. Sorry if you can not understand what I am saying.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 11
Off the top of my head, the one proggie that comes to mind is Goldwave. You can edit till your heart's content. But for a newbie, it may be a bit elusive...Someone else will come along with some easier stuff I'm sure. but all in all, Goldwave is quite a great program.

Feb 10, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 11
Window's Voice recorder can even handle the task, with wav's.
Just open the wav, go to the point where the silence begins, and hit "delete after this point."
Save the file.
Load the original file again (with space) and delete before the point. I've been thinking about doing this with some albums that have secret tracks hidden about 15-30 minutes deep into an album.

Feb 11, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks a lot for all the input on editing the tracks. Does EAC encode Off files though? Also, does anyone have any input on the Ogg file sizes or if there is a better encoder than the RMM software? Thanks a lot.

Feb 11, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jack963
Thanks a lot for all the input on editing the tracks. Does EAC encode Off files though? Also, does anyone have any input on the Ogg file sizes or if there is a better encoder than the RMM software? Thanks a lot.

EAC will encode using whatever you want, just point it to the ogg encoder (external encoder) in encoder options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back