Sonarworks True-Fi
Jun 17, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #19 of 41
But there is an algorithm for the audeze's as well.:)

I just started a trial and the difference seems very worthwhile considering the costs of everything involved in trying to get a sound you like. This application might be a big steal at $80 in context (cables that make a marginal difference, for instance, go for $300, and I am inclined to believe people spend hundreds and even thousands more than they might otherwise on additional headphones, dacs, and amps). Using it with Audeze LCD-X at the moment and the difference is serious.

5fr7zn.png

I am quite confused by the flat line denoting its effect as opposed to a curve. I'd be very curious if anyone can figure out what it actually does, but it definitely does something. Trounces the Schiit Loki some of us have resorted to. The question is whether the effect can't be replicated with eq through say Foobar. The guy who discouraged others from trying this has clearly not heard what it does.

How am I supposed to know if clipping is occurring? I was warned about it after set-up, but I don't appear to be hearing it.

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #20 of 41
I just started a trial and the difference seems very worthwhile considering the costs of everything involved in trying to get a sound you like. This application might be a big steal at $80 in context (cables that make a marginal difference, for instance, go for $300, and I am inclined to believe people spend hundreds and even thousands more than they might otherwise on additional headphones, dacs, and amps). Using it with Audeze LCD-X at the moment and the difference is serious.

5fr7zn.png

I am quite confused by the flat line denoting its effect as opposed to a curve. I'd be very curious if anyone can figure out what it actually does, but it definitely does something. Trounces the Schiit Loki some of us have resorted to. The question is whether the effect can't be replicated with eq through say Foobar. The guy who discouraged others from trying this has clearly not heard what it does.

How am I supposed to know if clipping is occurring? I was warned about it after set-up, but I don't appear to be hearing it.

There is a "lower volume to avoid clipping" setting.

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #24 of 41
You should be able to hear it, it's usually pretty obvious, ime. What it sounds like will vary considerably depending on the transducers though, so it is hard to describe unless one has heard it on those particular transducers. Sorry man, just trying to help.

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #25 of 41
I've actually been reluctant to use the avoid clipping. The sound sounds meatier to me without it, and I do compensate with the amp volume. The thing is that might be detrimental to my hearing and it's generally advised to lower the preamp volume when equalizing. Don't know whether headphones can really get damaged without raising the volume to levels that can't be tolerated.

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #26 of 41
I've never heard the difference in sound you refer to so... it sounds transparent to me, and I have experienced clipping without it, and it is more likely to occur the more things I am doing in my playback software (jrmc24) such as volume leveling, sound analysis, or sample rate conversion. I find it to be a set it and forget it thing, as I now just leave it on all the time. Jrmc has a similar setting. Guess I can't hear the difference you hear due to my....ahem...experienced ears. Without a way to see the waveform, or using some kind of sound analysis software, I know of no way to detect clipping. I've never cared about something I can't hear, including clipping. Clearly you do.

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #27 of 41
I am quite confused by the flat line denoting its effect as opposed to a curve. I'd be very curious if anyone can figure out what it actually does, but it definitely does something.
The curve is the frequency response of an LCD-X as measured by Sonarworks in their labs (they may also measure multiple LCD-X and average the results). The True-Fi software applies an equalization based on their measurements, and the flat line represents the output frequency response after equalization.

Since there is some variation in each headphone, you won't necessarily get a completely flat response on your own headphones. Sonarworks also offers a service where you can send them your headphones, and they will measure it and give you a custom equalization curve to use with the software.

Jun 18, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #29 of 41
So for me. No matter if im listening on the 6xx or hd800s, I have to lower volume to avoid clipping. If you pay attention to the music without lowered volume for clipping option slected, you will notice the vocals in bass heavy songs fading in and out. It will slightly sound like a veil is put over their voice whenver the bass comes in heavier. I use the song Esskeetit by Lil Pump, and Boo'd Up by Ella Mai as an example. If you pay attention you will hear the bass veiling out their voice. If you turn on the lower volume to avoid clipping, you will have better seperation of voice and bass. Much cleaner

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #30 of 41
The problem I'm having is the sound actually hits harder when not using that option, corrected for volume. It's like having a party versus listening to music at a get-together (let's say as adults). The former sounds more fun. If I don't use this option could I damage my headphones in the long run? How about my ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back