Somewhat new-ish head-fier looking for an upgrade
Jun 26, 2015 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kayan

100+ Head-Fier
So title says it all. I'm an inexperienced head-fier looking for a headphone upgrade, or maybe sidegrade...honestly I am not really sure, and I don't know where I should go from this point.

A brief history for me, I bought my first pair of higher-end headphones quite a while back, a pair of V-Moda M100s, and they sounded great, to me, but were horribly uncomfortable. Last fall I bought them again with the XL pads, and they were still uncomfortable. Back they went again.

About 2ish years back I bought a pair of AKG 65th Anniversary cans from a fellow member here, and I just recently sold them. I liked them, but would like something new that is similar, but with just a tad more punch in the bass department. These were comfortable for a few hours at a time (3-5) but sometimes my sessions lasted a lot longer than that.

I also ordered a pair of HD650s last Christmas, and they ended up being returned, because there was little to no perceivable difference between them and the AKG cans.

I will be using my new cans at a desktop setup, mostly for gaming, but I also listen to a lot of music. I have a SoundBlaster Zx soundcard + audio control module. I also currently have a standalone amp a Fiio e09k that I can use to drive these.

Music genres that I listen to:

Rock, Alternative, Rapcore, some old-school hip hop (not the new rap stuff, blech).

I want something comfortable, as my gaming sessions while less frequent can still sometimes last a couple/few hours, and something that sounds good. I've checked out the buying guides here on head-fi, but just am not sure where to go.

Budget is 500ish, and I want over-the-ear open or closed headphones. I'll be buying in the USA.

These are some I've picked out as possibilities, but I am open to anything really, within my budget:
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros,
Shure SRH1540
B&W P7
Fostex TH-600 (out of budget)
HE-400i
Ultrasone Pro 900s
Beyerdynamic 990
Beyerdynamic T90 (out of budget)

Like I said, I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 13
Phillips Fidelio X1

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 13
Why would you recommend the x1 over the x2? Do you think these would be good if it were just music that I was listening to?

Makes sense to me to go for the X2 if you can afford them. I have not heard the X2s, but the X1s sound good. A bit too bassy for me. The X2 is apparently more refined all the way around.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 13
Makes sense to me to go for the X2 if you can afford them. I have not heard the X2s, but the X1s sound good. A bit too bassy for me. The X2 is apparently more refined all the way around.

Yeah, I can afford the x2. I don't want to be drowned in bass, but I like well defined and hard hitting bass regardless. My budget, as stated above, is about 500.

There's a pair of T90s on sale used for 400, would that be worth my while to try to pursue? Sound signature for what I'm looking at and all?

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 13
  Why would you recommend the x1 over the x2? Do you think these would be good if it were just music that I was listening to?

Because x1 is more bassy from what I hear.

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 13
Because x1 is more bassy from what I hear.

Yep. That's what Tyll's review and measurements of the two headphones indicate: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2-page-2

And note it's not bass light at all. Just a little less bassy.

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 13

I was under the impression that they sounded exactly the same?

They are actually different with similar sound signature.  There is some noticeable boosts in frequency charts when comparing them.  Regarding being able to hear those differences depends on the individual.  Below are the frequency charts from innerfidelity for comparison.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK70265thAnvEd2014.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK7XX.pdf

Jun 27, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 13
I bought a warehouse deals x2 from Amazon yesterday. The description said damaged, took a chance. it was 195 and I paid for overnight shipping. This thing is perfect near perfect. The packaging was shot to hell though. These sound fantastic so far.

The cord is wayyyyy toooooo long, it's nice quality, but omg so long. The earcups are so plush, very comfy so far. Played about 1.5 hours of music, with no discomfort, and now I'm trying some gaming on them. So far, I'm impressed. This is a good level of bass for me.

Edit: I found a little imperfection on the bottom of the right side headphone, doesn't seem to impair anything yet. I will continue to test them for the duration of the return period, just in case.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 13
So the x2 are being returned due to discomfort, not physically but rather some slight harshness. It's sad because the sound signature is exactly what I wanted otherwise. Are there any alternatives to this that sound similar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back