Something with better timing than the HD600
May 9, 2010 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

R300

Head-Fier
TBH I'm having a hard time choosing new phones at the moment. I'm looking for something that sounds not too har from the hd600, but with better timing i.e. not laid back like the senns. In short I want phones with PRAT (pace, rythm, acceleration, timing).

I'm running a rega planet > phones 01 > HD580J (aka 600) at the moment. I know the Planet packs a punch 'cause I get that lovely bass attack with my Naim speakers.

Any ideas? Tried the Grado RS-1 and 2, which have PRAT, but I can't get past the mid-bass hump. se420 also has pretty good attack and timing, but looses a bit at the top end imho.

I'm open to trying fullsize and iems.

May 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 8
The Ad2000 is indeed the PRaT king, but it has very coloured mids, IMO only to be recommended to those who have >75% electric guitars and lots of female singers in their music collection.

The Alessandros are almost on par in the speed section, but sound much more natural. Also the DT880'600 is very very good in that respect, although its bass is a bit thin.

May 9, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
The Ad2000 is indeed the PRaT king, but it has very coloured mids, IMO only to be recommended to those who have >75% electric guitars and lots of female singers in their music collection.

The Alessandros are almost on par in the speed section, but sound much more natural. Also the DT880'600 is very very good in that respect, although its bass is a bit thin.

DT880 even 600Ohm are rather slow, and there is still something cold Beyerish about their signature, the least out of the rest of the line but still there. Funny, AD2000 mids never bothered me, they are definitely pronounced but probably the most neutral out of the current ATH lineup. 
Another speedy phone to try is Sony MDS-SA5000, but they are probably the coldest out of the bunch.

May 9, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 8
I smell something really expensive in your future. 

And what's this phones 01 you're using. I've also heard (and this is entirely hearsay, so be wary as hell), that balancing the HD650's will improve PRAT... so it might be worth trying with the HD580J's

May 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I smell something really expensive in your future. 

And what's this phones 01 you're using. I've also heard (and this is entirely hearsay, so be wary as hell), that balancing the HD650's will improve PRAT... so it might be worth trying with the HD580J's

Ben Duncan Phones-01:
http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/PHO1FLY.html

Runs from a pair of chunky batteries, mains chargeable and about as portable as a house-brick. It loves driving the senns and knocked the spots of Naim Headline and X-Cans when I auditioned them.

May 9, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
DT880 even 600Ohm are rather slow, and there is still something cold Beyerish about their signature, the least out of the rest of the line but still there.

They are acceptably fast IMO, but I agree about your statement of remaining Beyer coldness. That is why I did NoXter's closed back mod, which also increased the bass.

May 9, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 8
x2 on the DT880

I'd recommend ATH-A2000X. Not as laid back as HD600, and much more neutral, energetic, and refined. They are sure to get your foot tapping.

I imagine markl-modded denons are another possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back