something to know or try
Dec 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MrJohnny

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all well I was playing with my high quality speakers. And well I was playing with my ears. Don't ask why. Ok so I discoverd if u pull out ur ears so u look like Mikey mouse ghre midrange increases but if u push the loab or out ear inwards so its flat against ur head the mid range or upper mid range disapeers. So I was thinking maybe headphones that yave recessed mids put pressure on ur outer ear making it flat so you don't hear the mids but in phones like the 701akg or 501 where ur outer ear is generally free u can hear the midss well. Any ideas?

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
Hey all well I was playing with my high quality speakers. And well I was playing with my ears. Don't ask why. Ok so I discoverd if u pull out ur ears so u look like Mikey mouse ghre midrange increases but if u push the loab or out ear inwards so its flat against ur head the mid range or upper mid range disapeers. So I was thinking maybe headphones that yave recessed mids put pressure on ur outer ear making it flat so you don't hear the mids but in phones like the 701akg or 501 where ur outer ear is generally free u can hear the midss well. Any ideas?

It's well known that the pinnae have a role in the accurate perception of frontal waveforms.  Whether or not a headphone's waveform is sufficiently frontal to involve that mechanism is unclear.  After all, the logical consequence of your inquiry is that IEMs should have no midrange at all.

Also, with respect, you managed to squeeze 25 grammatical or spelling errors into 112 words, which made your post very hard to read.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 7
Im sorry about the grammatical and Spelling errors. I wrote that first post on my cell phone, and the keys are notoriously too small. But back to the subject, i see now that my post was a little controversial, but i was talking more along the lines of fullsized. For instance, IEM deliver sound directly into the canal but dont offer the pinpoint Staging. Fullsized offers the staging but it less effectively delivers the sound quality.So i was thinking that in order to get the juicy mids, and staging they shouldn't compress the outer lob of the ear.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
... i see now that my post was a little controversial, but i was talking more along the lines of fullsized. For instance, IEM deliver sound directly into the canal but dont offer the pinpoint Staging. Fullsized offers the staging but it less effectively delivers the sound quality.So i was thinking that in order to get the juicy mids, and staging they shouldn't compress the outer lob of the ear.

No, not controversial.  I agree completely - but only if the headphone drivers are noticeably angled so that the sounds arrive from the front, like they would from speakers.  And in general, comfort is much improved if the headphones don't squash the ears ... and perhaps we have a subconscious mechanism that somehow impairs our hearing if we're aware that our ears are physically interfered with.  Personally I much prefer cups big enough to fit around with no contact at all.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 7
yeah like Cub where my ears wont be touched. Like the akg 701s. there is not contact between my ear and the side of the headphone.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 7
Also try cupping your hand behind your ear to make your ear "bigger". There was (long ago) a company that marketed leather "ear extensions" on a head band, that extended your ear for improved hearing.
found this -
http://www.tnt-audio.com/edcorner/march06.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back