Something to Consider When Downloading Music With DRM...
Aug 1, 2009 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

roadtonowhere08

Headphoneus Supremus
Link: Movie/record industry rep says that you shouldn't expect to be able to play your media for as long as you own it - Boing Boing

Text:
Movie/record industry rep says that you shouldn't expect to be able to play your media for as long as you own it
Posted by Cory Doctorow, July 29, 2009 10:34 PM | permalink
Glyn sez, "Buying DRMed content, then having that content stop working later is fair writes Steven Metalitz, the lawyer who represents the MPAA, RIAA in a letter to the top legal advisor at the Copyright Office."

"We reject the view," he writes in a letter to the top legal advisor at the Copyright Office, "that copyright owners and their licensees are required to provide consumers with perpetual access to creative works. No other product or service providers are held to such lofty standards. No one expects computers or other electronics devices to work properly in perpetuity, and there is no reason that any particular mode of distributing copyrighted works should be required to do so."

This is, of course, true, but that doesn't make it any less weird. The only reason that such tracks are crippled after authentication servers go down is because of a system that was demanded by content owners and imposed on companies like Wal-Mart and Apple; buyers who grudgingly bought tracks online because it was easy accepted, but never desired the DRM. To simply say that they are "out of luck" because they used a system that the rightsholders demanded is the height of callousness to one's customers. While computers and electronics devices do break down over time, these music tracks were crippled by design.

I've got 78RPM records from my grandparents' basement that play just fine today -- and I've got Logo programs I wrote in 1979 that I can run today. I own a piano roll from 1903 that I can play back if I can clear the space for a player piano. I've got books printed in the 17th century that can still be read -- and if they can't be read, they can be scanned and the scans can be read. This is what an open format means.

It's hilarious that the same yahoos who argue for perpetual copyright (implying that copyrighted works have value forever) also argue for time-limited ownership (implying that people who buy copyrighted works should be content to enjoy them for a few weeks or years until the DRM stops working).

Remember: when you buy DRM, you really rent, until such time as the DRM company goes bust or changes its mind. When you buy DRM-free, you get something your great-grandkids can enjoy.

Big Content: ludicrous to expect DRMed music to work forever (Thanks, Glyn!)

This just supports the stance of being pro physical media. Sure paying for select songs on iTunes and comparable sites is nice, but who is to say they will be yours forever? I'll take my chances with CDs, and I'm sure vinyl lovers will stick with their analog Frisbees as well.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 16
steal_this_comic.png

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 16
Dang you are fast, TheMarchingMule. I go to add one thought on my post and you are already done with a reply. Might as well do it here then...

The reason why I like physical media so much is because I am in control of my "license". If I ruin it, it is my fault, and that is why I have all CDs losslessly backed up just in case. If I go DRM, who knows how long I am allowed to own that "license"? The picture posted by TheMarchingMule is basically the gist of it all. By being so iron-fisted about their policies, they really are pushing law-abiding people into stealing.

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 16
No wonder a lot of us stay clear of DRM protected music...
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang you are fast, TheMarchingMule. I go to add one thought on my post and you are already done with a reply.

I try.
tongue.gif

And computer games have been facing this war for the past few years as well. The worst of it is that you have to activate your game online before you play, and you have a limited number of "activations," say 5. If you forget to revoke that activation key before you do a major change to your computer (install new hardware, reinstall the OS), then it's lost forever, and if you lose all five, then either you have to call the publishers for a new one, or they'll just say "tough luck."

So ironically, by blindsiding the gamers with such strong and strict anti-piracy methods, they're making the buyer rethink whether they really own the game that they bought, or the game is owning them.

Aug 1, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 16
I won't buy anything that is DRMed (if I had a Kindle, I think I would have to give in). DRMed music is always vulnerable to the "analog hole"--DRM can be removed. A simple way of doing it is with this. Quality won't be perfect, but if you can live with "good enough", you will at least be sure that you really own your music.

I think the reality is setting in with the music business that copy protection only frustrates honest purchasers, and presents few to no obstacles to pirates.

And another thing: I go out of my way to buy "used music". The music industry gets nothing when I buy a used CD.

Aug 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Linthicum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And another thing: I go out of my way to buy "used music". The music industry gets nothing when I buy a used CD.

But sadly, neither does the artist(s).
frown.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #8 of 16
mail them for their bank account and send a dollar.

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this really relevant now that the two largest digital music stores are DRM free besides anti-distribution watermarking?

Yes it very much is. It's not just music which has some form of DRM. Applications, OSs, Games, movies and what not do as well. Instead of hiring a DVD you might be able to download one with DRM in a few years instead. It's actually pretty much the same thing. Since that is all you really do with DRM - hiring - you might as well extend the period for which you are hiring the particular application/data. We'll call it buying then, but in fact you are still hiring your application/data.

Why do I think that something like that will actually happen? Well, if the RIAA sues an old lady with about 5 downloaded .mp3s on their computer...

You get the point. The record industry will most likely do almost anything to stop people from pirating. If physical media disappears (and it will eventually although it will maybe take another decade or 2) DRM is much easier to implement.

So, yeah, I think DRM is very relevant and will probably become more and more relevant the more we will store our applications/data online.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
music_drm.png

This is not raging against the "man", it is predicting what is going to happen based on precedents already set (like Blu-Ray, HDMI, and HDCP). It makes perfect business sense for labels to get rid of a physical format, because it lowers costs and raises margins. Most people do not care either way, so why, other than vinyl (which will probably never die in my lifetime because of its cult like following), would they make a physical format?

The only reason why downloads went DRM free is because of the backlash from informed people. Most people do not even know what DRM is. This is a temporary action to assuage peoples' outrage. Once internet speeds are conducive to downloading movies and albums for average people, the desire for a CD will wane. Then we will be forced to abide by whatever DRM they impose, since we will be stuck with it. It is human nature; we want easy, and downloading is easier than having a collection of CDs or vinyl. Head-fi members are the exception, as most of us care about sound quality and love to have a physical product. Unfortunately, we are the minority, and labels care nothing for the minority (except for vinyl).

I'm going to link back to this when music goes all digital and vinyl.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 16
Physical media is the way to go.
Until lossless audio become available in stores like iTunes Store. Without DRM of course...

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #15 of 16
It makes sense though. This way they may get people to buy the same music over and over. the developers and distributors are free to do whatever they want. Just hope consumers is smart enough to boycott it.

DRM is failing for PC games for example and more and more companies are removing it to sell more games
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back