Something to complement RE2
May 6, 2008 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zeus_hunt

New Head-Fier
I have just bought a RE2...

Wondering if i7 would complement it well... with those Mach3Bass, 3D Surround ...

NWZ-A726BLK4GB Walkman® Video MP3 Player
Cowon iAUDIO 7 4GB MP3 Player

Quote:

Cowon iAUDIO 7
Cowon consistently produces some of the best-sounding MP3 players on the market. No other manufacturer offers so many useful and customizable sound enhancement features. Does it sound better than an iPod? No question. Listening to Timbaland and Magoo's "It's Your Night" with a dash of Mach3Bass enhancement made the kick-drum thick and snappy--not just louder. A live recording like Gillian Welch's "I Want to Sing That Rock & Roll" presents a great stereo soundstage right out of the box, but with the MP Enhance setting switched on and the 3D Surround setting turned up halfway, the live sound becomes much more vivid.
Reviewed by: Donald Bell

Quote:

Sony NWZ-A720
Even at its factory setting, the Sony NWZ-A720 radiates with fidelity that just gets better as each one of its many sound-enhancement features activate. Listening through the excellent pair of included Sony EX in-ear headphones, the rattling saxophones of Moondog's "Dog Trot" were vibrant and easy to pick out in the stereo soundstage. Renowned for its buttery bass performance, the Clear Bass enhancement EQ feature perfectly sweetened the rolling dub synth notes of Squarepusher's "Port Rhombus" with no noticeable distortion. Sony is clearly king of the hill when it comes to sound quality.
Reviewed by: Donald Bell

From the reviews above thinking of Sony NWZ-A720 and Cowon iAUDIO 7 ....

May 6, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 6
The Cowon is great with the RE2s. I own both, sounds wonderful. The Sony will probably also do the trick. The Sony sounds a bit warmer than the Cowon in stock configuration, but the Cowon allows for a bit more control over the sound.

Cheers,
Frederik

May 7, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 6
I think after reading quite a bit on this .. I m looking at i7 and A726

Quote:

The Sony NWZ-A818 and iAudio 7 are some of the tops DAPs in the market today. They have different sound signiatures though. The Cowon is more analytical and cold. The Sony is very musical and warm. I have owned a couple Cowon products (wait, I still own them), but the Sony is my player of choice. It is just as detialed as the Cowon offerings, but it brings a liveliness to music that the Cowon's do not.

Quote:

I just got myself an A818, and it's great. The sound quality is the best I've ever heard from a PMP. The included canalphones (E-082) sound perfectly good for anyone who doesn't necessarily need the best possible sound, but when I plugged in my C551s the player really began to shine. Great, pounding bass response, perfect clarity (or as good as the C551s allow), and a wide and nice soundstage. This is all with completely flat EQ.

Quote:

Comparing Sony with iaudio i must say that their sound signatures are totally different. Sony has a very clean sound, lush sounding and with very noticeble soundstage. The problem for me with Sony is that i'm looking for a more aggressive, edgy type of sounding and thus more detalied, characteristics that , in my view are inhibited by the induced soundstage, expanded kind of lushy sound. The forementioned are delivered more properly by Cowon at least from my point of view.

Another certain matter would be that i'm looking for the kind of sound the manages to convey the feeling, the emotion from the music. Well, at least for me, Cowon does this better. So far two white balls for Cowon. The last of the 3 important criterias for me is the sense of the fact that the orchestra or the artist, is playing for you and just for you, they are singing just for you in an intimate personal area. Given the fact that Sony's soundstage seems so, how should i put it, wide, it spaces out everything, even the notes from the very singer, i just dont get this feeling of warm approch... Cowon again does this better for me.

I know the above 2 are for 818 but 726 probably would be quite similar.
The comments above... doesnt produce a winner I guess... personal taste.

GreatDane had done a review while back comparing the i7 to iPod line out into a Meier Porta Corda using Etymotic ER4S as monitors..

Hoping someone can point me to a couple of reviews for these 2 DAPs here at head-fi ... would b gr8 (I searched... but couldnt find one.. lots of results
confused.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back