Something that doesn't leak sound under ~$30
Feb 14, 2006 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

StormTracker

Head-Fier
I am looking for something that doesn't leak sound yet doesn't isolate completely for studying at the library. I would prefer it to be more portable (so earbuds, IEMs, smaller HPs). I listen mostly to classical, with about half of my collection being movie soundtracks.

I can bend my budget more, but I heard you guys are notorious for errmm... yeah... sticking to $30 or under
icon10.gif

Anyone have any recommendations?

Currently looking at Sennheiser MX450, MX500, AKG 14-P.
KSC75's seem to be crossed off the list since they leak apparently from what I've heard?

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 18
There's always Koss' "The Plug" ($20 or less.) Then you can make a few simple modifications to them to improve the bass. With the mods they become the poor man's Etymotic, if you will.
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 18
I hope your listening to classical at the library, otherwise you're not really studying!
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 18
The AKG K 26 P looks quite interesting, but no one really seems to have it in stock.

Is it hard to get the "The Plug" to stay put as I've been reading?

The music is more to keep me motivated.
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 18
Forgot to mention, I think the cheap iems will be your best bet for under $30. I read up here on Head-Fi when I needed a cheap pair of isolating iems for airplane use. I forgot the actual model (sorry!) of JVC iems that I bought, but I got them for $15 shipped from Amazon. The sound is pretty decent, but nothing too exciting.

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 18
The HD 201 is the best option here. Sounds surprisingly nice and balanced - it's up there with some more expensive closed headphones. Works quite well with classical music - better than the K 26P when it comes to classical, IMHO.

Feb 14, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by thosecoldnails
There's always Koss' "The Plug" ($20 or less.) Then you can make a few simple modifications to them to improve the bass. With the mods they become the poor man's Etymotic, if you will.
wink.gif

don't even waste your time. they get nowhere close to the er6i and light years away from the er4p. i remember reading chu moy's write up on that and wasted two hours doing those mods for not much improvement.

Feb 14, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #9 of 18
What if I throw the PX100 in there since it seems similar to the AKG 26P? Better, worse for my purpose?

I'll see about the HD201, trying to avoid bulkier ones first. Unless it is deceptive looking.

Feb 14, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #10 of 18
201 isnt deceptive, they are large. I used them as portables while I was waiting for my ksc75 and they do work for it. Just means you need a decent size bag. Look on the bright side, they keep your ears warm in the winter
eggosmile.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #11 of 18
here's another vote for the hd201s

personally, i dont think they're that big. At first, i was surprised at their size because i was expecting something a lot bigger, but then again, they're my first pair of full sized cans. The wire might be a little too long, but i usually find a way to roll them up.

Feb 14, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by StormTracker
What if I throw the PX100 in there since it seems similar to the AKG 26P? Better, worse for my purpose?

I'll see about the HD201, trying to avoid bulkier ones first. Unless it is deceptive looking.

PX 100 leaks, so that would be a no go. HD 201 is deceptively small imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back