Something strange with new Super.Fi's
Aug 24, 2006 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Shike

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, this requires some explaining. I had bought my Super.Fi 3 studios quite a while ago and the right casing had started falling apart. I RMAed them and got a replacement pair. Rather recently, in about the same amount of time I started experiencing similar problems with the casing again so I had to RMA them a second time. Fedex lost the replacement, so UE had to send another replacement package. The package they came in looked roughly like this:

100_0094.jpg

So then I opened them up:

100_0095.jpg

Take note of the Pro 5 like logo on the buds, it also came in a UE Pro 5 tray with case. . .

However, when you take a look at the back of them the normally jagged out edge of the 5 Pro is missing:

100_0097.jpg

So, they look like normal Studio 3's. However, the cord is a lot thicker now and there isn't plastic on the outside edge that would run along the ear as it did with the pairs I had before.

I plugged them in though, and I must say they sounded completely different from the Studio 3's I had before. For one, it had bass. Not this light bass either, I'm talking almost matched my Senns HD202's bass with no EQ modification on my Archos. Let alone turning up bass and bass boost to max the phones scaled the bass without skipping a beat.

So, what's up with these things? Have they redesigned the 3 Studio recently?

Sorry if I'm acting like an over dramatic n00b, but something is just different about these
confused.gif

EDIT:
Well, it appears that there were some redesigns and packaging changes although probably rather minor. Either way, the stronger cord, metallic case, etc should make anyone questioning these take an even closer look.

Aug 24, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #3 of 12
They must have sent you the Pros.

Aug 24, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 12
I just sent you a private message...

BTW, the new thicker cord is the 2.0 cable. This is the cable that's on the new Super.Fis. They have also been replacing broken cables with this cable for some time now.

Aug 24, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 12
It turns out it's a redesign of the 3 studio. They did do some performance tweaks on it, and the reason it came in a Pro 5 tray seems to be so they could include the metal case.

Either way, they have improved them a lot ^_^

EDIT: I also just called their customer support because I was short a set of tips. I asked if they had done any redesigning as far as internals but they say it should overall be the same. The amusing thing is, the lady has been hearing a lot of people saying the bass has improved with the newer cable and whatnot.

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
HD202 bass is really bad though, so muddy!

Of course, however I'm saying the amount of bass. In other words, there's more of a presence of it there (although of course, more precise).

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
If they tweaked the super.fi 3, maybe they did some work on the 5 as well...?

According to the rep, he said no tweaks were made to the 5s (Pro's anyway)...only different casing, and cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back