Something similar to V-Moda Vibes
Nov 20, 2010 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Serieus

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I've been doing some research on these forums for a bit now looking for replacements for my year old Vibes since the left headphone has stopped working (cable problem, move the cable near the earpiece and it works fine, but have to hold it there) and I'm kind of stumped.

The situation is this: I have an iPhone 4 for a source, that's all they'll be used for. No amp. I don't care about having a mic or remote. I use public transportation (bus) which tends to be quite loud between road noise, engine noise, and people on the bus in the morning after being all jacked up on coffee.

As far as headphone experiences, I have a Steelseries Siberia v2 headset for gaming on computer, and I've used the stock Apple earbuds, the V-Moda's of course, and some very cheap Skullcandies about..two years ago I think, when I got my first iPod touch. They didn't last long, bass was very overdone, muddy, far too boomy, etc. The V-Modas have been my favorite so far that I've listened to. I listen to hip-hop, some techno, dubstep, etc. I like bass, but not too overly done, and not at the expensive of bad mids/hi's, which I feel like my V-Modas haven't done a very good job of, but it's the best I have.

So what I'm wanting is something similar to my V-Modas, but improved. Also a thing I noticed and have concern for is isolation -- the bus gets quite loud so I have to turn up the music louder to hear, which can be problematic. Comfort is a big thing for me, something that the V-Modas excel at. I've never had a problem with them before, even wearing them for 8+ hours in the car. I can wear them sleeping, running, pretty much doing anything and they just always stay in my ear and aren't very noticeable, although one thing I do really hate about them is the cloth cord. It has horrible memory characteristics (I'm guessing that's what it is? Here's a picture: http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5205/headphonesrh.jpg) and terrible microphonics.

Basically, I want something with a fun sound, around $60 (although I can possibly go a litttttttttle higher if needed..) with a good amount of bass, but also good mids and highs. Preferably that are durable and comfortable, and a better cable. :/

I have an $35 off for anything @ V-Moda, and right now I'm looking at getting the Remix Audio's. They don't have the cloth cord, they're small and light, and they should have the familiar sound that I'm looking for, but I'm wondering if there's something better. I know about the Hippo VB, which seems like it might fit the bill, but I'm not positive. And the Fischer Audio Eterna, but from research here they've switched the Eterna to a new model that isn't as good as the original, so I'm not sure if I want to mess with that.

With that said, the isolation that Etymotic offers sounds appealing so I'm considering the MC5 but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the bass I want. Also the RE0/RE-Zero but I feel the same way towards the bass with them from what I've read, and they don't have the isolation of the MC5. The reason I'm really considering the MC5 is because the isolation I think might have give me the bass I want on the bus at least, though, because it won't be drowned out by road noise/engine noise, correct? I'm sure that still won't help as much as I would like it to, though.

Any help is appreciated, sorry for the long post. :p

Nov 21, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 2
Bump. How do the mids/highs in the Klipsh S4 compare to what's in the Vibes? A lot of the reviews I'm reading about it mention some sibilance, which I don't want. I've never noticed that in my set of Vibes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back