something similar to the ath-m50's...
Mar 7, 2010 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Briballdo

New Head-Fier
Im looking for something similar to the m50's. Ive heard great things about them and i think they would be perfect, its just they seem too big to be wearing them at school as other places.

i know this should probably be in the portable section, but it seems like everyone just talks about IEMs.

are there smaller headphones that will sound/isolate as well as the ath-m50's in the ~$100 price range?

thanks

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 15
Prepare for the Denon D1001 recommendations. I'm in your shoes as well and that seems to be my alternative besides the M50. They just look too bulky/studio type to be worn outside. I'm sure comfort isn't an issue though.

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiNuWiNe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prepare for the Denon D1001 recommendations. I'm in your shoes as well and that seems to be my alternative besides the M50. They just look too bulky/studio type to be worn outside. I'm sure comfort isn't an issue though.

I dont think its that funky looking. I wear my M50's out to the Cafe I do homework at and nobody seems to care. Do Lebron and Kobe care who is looking when they come walking into the game with a pair of huge cans on?

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 15
ok so im pretty sure ive narrowed it down to:
ATH-M50
D1001 (or the CAL's)
ES7
or maybe IEM's (was looking at RE0) - dont know anything about good IEM's tho

So i figured it would be important to know what kind of stuff I like most...

I think SQ definitely is first in line. After that i would have to say isolation (i will be listening to them in a quiet classroom for some part of the time). then I'd probably put size/looks in 3rd (i dont really want huge headphones) Lastly, i think comfort should definitely be on the list, but it just really isn't that much of a factor cuz i wont be listening to them for long periods of time.

so FWIR...

i like the d1001 because they are small and compact and SQ is good.
i like the ATH-M50 because they sound probably the best out of all of them and have good isolation
i like the ES7 because they definitely look the best and are more compact. (pretty much a tie between d1001 and es7)

i dont like the d1001 because people say the isolation is bad
i dont like the m50 because they look too big and bulky to be portable
i dont like the es7 because they too seem like they arent as good with isolation.

anyone have any ideas on a pair of cans that will pretty much be a middle way between all these?

would IEMs be the way to go? they seem like they isolate, they are compact, and have good SQ...

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony6225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think its that funky looking. I wear my M50's out to the Cafe I do homework at and nobody seems to care. Do Lebron and Kobe care who is looking when they come walking into the game with a pair of huge cans on?

Lebron and Kobe can still get chicks regardless. The OP probably can't
gs1000.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 15
Try IEM's. I really like my Triple Fi 10's. To me they have a similiar sound sig to the M50's which I REALLY love. You should be able to find a pair between $100 and $150. Or just get the M50's and who cars how they look! They are actually on the smaller side of "full" size headphones anyway.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lebron and Kobe can still get chicks regardless. The OP probably can't
gs1000.gif

its not a matter of getting chicks...i just dont wanna look weird.
duggehsmile.png

i briefly looked at IEM's and found that the image s4's look pretty nice.

just wondering... how does the sound quality of IEMs and full sized cans compare?

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 15
Why do you care what you look like? You can't see the cans when you're wearing them, who gives a crap what other people think.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 15
i dont really see anything wrong with not wanting to look weird...i guess ill just pick up a pair of m50's and see how i like them. if they seem too big for me ill go for the d1001 instead.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Briballdo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its not a matter of getting chicks...i just dont wanna look weird.
duggehsmile.png

i briefly looked at IEM's and found that the image s4's look pretty nice.

just wondering... how does the sound quality of IEMs and full sized cans compare?

I have both the M50's and the S4's. I have not really done any heavy duty comparison between the two - but I think they both sound good. The s4's have a bit more bass and the m50's seem more acurate with a better midrange.

As far as full size cans go, the M50's have a classic professional look. I dont think their looks would be the problem, but lugging around a full size set of headphones all day might be. You can stick the s4's in your pocket when you are not listening to them.

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Briballdo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont really see anything wrong with not wanting to look weird...i guess ill just pick up a pair of m50's and see how i like them. if they seem too big for me ill go for the d1001 instead.

They're pretty slim profiled. I wear them out without too much drama.

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 15
The M50's aren't big at all. They are actually pretty stylish and definitely not "weird" looking. As long as you won't be walking around with them, there would be no problem wearing them in public.

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #15 of 15
Heh, the M50s are NOTHING compared to my AD-700s... If I waned to attract attention I'd wear the AD700s for sure.

IMO the M50's are pretty small for a full size headphone. They look like they mean business, but they don't look bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back