Something like Coldplay?
Apr 6, 2008 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I need some quality sing-along type music; needs something to offset all the extreme metal.
Although I really didnt like Coldplay for the first couple of years they were around, I eventually fell in love with "X&Y". For some reason I never get bored of that album.

Can you recommend other similar bands?

(Already into Radiohead and Keane)

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 43
My parents say I'm crazy, but I think U2 sounds like coldplay. At least the vocals. Sort of a different style of music, but I think there are similarities. Check out the album "war"

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 43
Hmm, its tough to say that they're "like" Coldplay but they're compatable - check out The Shins and Interpol. Both are very different bands but I think you'll like em.

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 43
Also, while you're at it, check out Damien Rice

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 43
As you and others already mentioned, Radiohead and U2 are the obvious ones, along with some of the other modern Britpop bands. But a couple you might not know, the latest from British Sea Power is very good ... here's a rockin' fun track, though it probably won't remind you much of Coldplay
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.aolcdn.com/_media/ch_musi...power-atom.mp3

So are the last few from Blonde Redhead, who are starting to be referred to (and not always in a complimentary way) as Blonde Radiohead in recent times. But go back a few years to Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons for a more edgy sound that channels Abbey Road era Beatles and Radiohead and Sonic Youth....

"Creating an alternate world as exotic as Radiohead but with actual songs that creep inside your dreams at night without calling attention to themselves or tripping any wires, Blonde Redhead arrives with a haunting reminder that pop can be catchy as hell without forsaking loftier artistic challenges." - Ed Masley, Post-Gazette

The latest 2 move closer to a Cocteau Twins sound, though still with the occasional edge.

If you don't have it yet, definitely check out Spiritualized Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space. And along those lines, the new Voyager One Afterhours in the Afterlife is a bunch of fun too.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 43
Give Travis a go. Not as dour as Coldplay but maybe the same kind of break in sound you're looking for.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 43
definitely the verve. also check out david grey and band of horses (especially the song- the funeral)

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #15 of 43
Thanks to everyone for the recs.
Just to clarfy; I dont necessarily need a band that sounds like Coldplay, but more so writes/plays the same level quality of music.

Melodic rock, whose complexity and depth rivals bands like Radiohead and Coldplay.

BTW: Has anyone heard of Athlete?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back