Something is fishy with my ExpressPCB boards!
Feb 26, 2007 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ezkcdude

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently placed an order with ExpressPCB for their mini-board service, which I've done many times. Well, I got the boards on Friday, and lo and behold there something fishy with them. The metal surfaces look much shinier than normal. Compare the new boards (top) with an old board (bottom). Does anyone have an idea what is going on? Unfortunately, it appears you can only contact ExpressPCB by e-mail, not phone. I'm not sure what to do.

pcb_boards.jpg

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 7
maybe that's some better finish? because my board was lying around for some time and begun to get brown, like yours on the bottom - thought that was my mistake (to humid or something) but yours seems to behave the same way...

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 7
I think you may be right
k1000smile.gif
. They got back to me and said now it is a tin-lead finish. Maybe before it was lead-free? I don't remember, though. It certainly looks nicer now.

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 7
I can now confirm that ExpressPCB has switched from lead-free to tin/lead for the mini-board service. Upon looking up the lead-free process they used, it actually says (going to Jeurgen's point):

Quote:

Storage note: PCBs plated with a tin/lead solder finish can be stored almost indefinitely before they are assembled. Our lead-free boards also store well, but we recommend keeping them wrapped in plastic if they will be stored for more than one month prior to being assembled.

Good to know, I'd say.

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metalcrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kinda O/T, but has anyone else tried to solder with lead free solder? Terrible...just terrible. Joints look like cold solder connections even when they are perfectly good.

Yeah, I have too. It just doesn't flow or stick very well, it seems. The melting point is different, I guess. There's no real reason to use lead-free for the hobbyist.

Feb 27, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 7
lead free solder is not as good as it hasa higher melting point, which is fine if you have a temp controlled iron but for those who can't justify the expense it greatly increases the dificulty of soldering as you have two choices: use a more powerfull iron and risk component damage, or use the same iron and have poor joints. I personaly have a moderate stockpile of nice leaded solder
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back