Something Inparticular for Air Travel?
Apr 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mr. B

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to be flying in a few weeks and my usual portable headphones (iGrado) aren't going to work well. It's the perfect excuse to buy some more compact earbuds/IEMs. I have already checked out some of the "Best IEM's under $xxx" threads and found some good possibilities. Having mentioned my iGrado's, I suppose it's obvious I don't take portable listening as seriously as some here. I am hoping to find some very effective noise isolation in the $100ish range.

My main question is, are there specific recommendations for isolation on an airplane or am I just fine pursuing any decent pair of IEM's in my price range?

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 9
I would think if you could get a good seal on the IEM, you'll have good isolation and decent sound that will beat the heck out of not having the IEMs in your ears. You'll have some with better isolation, some with less...but they all should help out tons if you can get a good fit. Then it comes down to the other factors, like comfort.

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 9
For absolute maximum isolation, I doubt anything will beat etymotic's hf5. They are said to isolate between 37 and 42(!)db, at least according to the company. On a budget, meelectronics' M11 is an excellent choice as well. It has great isolation, if not quite as good as the hf5, and is supremely comfortable.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 9
Have tried SE210, SE530, a sony entry level pair (dont remember model) and Bose QC15 on flights.

Must say I prefer the QC15 noise cancelling over the isolation in the Shures. I think this is due to vibrations or the type of sound there is in a plane (the low constant humming from the engines)..

I know QC15 isnt the best value for money out there - but my advise would be to find a good active noise cancelling headphones instead of in ear passive isolation.

Apperantly Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 is getting fairly good reviews and retails around 100-150 dollars, havent heard them myself though!

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 9
I would almost agree with Banko, that noise canceling would give you the best isolation from plane sounds.

Last time I traveled, I used the UE Super.fi 3s and they did a decent job; the only real problem about them "letting in" plane vibrations was when I would lean my head against the wall. I'll be going on a plane in a few weeks, and have been anticipating using my Etymotic ER-4Ps since they do a great job during car rides. You may be able to check out the ER6is, since they should offer.

May 4, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for all the replies. After a bit more looking I ordered the Etymotic HF5. I also ordered some Comply T-100 Standard Foam tips, just to add more options to play with when I receive them tomorrow. I am hoping I find the triple flanged tips to be comfortable since foam ones seem to count as a "consumable" with IEMs. Without objection, I'll bump this thread in a couple days with thoughts on my new purchase.

May 4, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 9
It surprises me when people mention cheaper etys for high isolation without mentioning the im716. The 716 is cheap, fits all the same tips, and uses tweaked ER4S drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back