Something i tried with my headphones and subwoofer; check it out!
Dec 16, 2009 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

InFn-0

100+ Head-Fier
Well, im playing my headphones off my computer with my speakers connected as well, and today i kinda forgot to turn off my speakers while i put on my headphones. As i turned on some of my music, something felt unusual and it was the bass, this was especially easy to pinpoint because my headphones are somewhat lean on the bass effect; and after few moments, i understood that it was my speaker sub that was giving me the kick on my chest.

Then, i turned down the treble knob on my speakers, it was more of a peace of mind effect than actual noise reduction effect on the background but i think i sensed some of it. I understand that some of you might not like the idea of another set of speakers messing with your headphones or you might not even want the bass thing in your music, but you should try it out; i'm looking forward to your replies/feedback on this.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 10
I tried watching TV with my headphones and like you i forgot to turn off my speakers. I didn't get the bass effect you were talking about (might have to do with my distance to the sub), but everything did sound much more real, as if everything on TV was really in front of me.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 10
I think I remember reading somewhere that the biggest effect of bass for us is not the actual noise but the sensation of the vibration. Therefore it makes sense that it sounds more "real" with the woofer, since you can actually feel the bass as opposed to just hearing it.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 10
Surely is the vibration. ... I am sitting on a transducer myself LFE and use it occasionally also for music. Particularly helpful for the K701 gives it more body that´s for sure
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have also sometimes forgot my speakers on and again it mates well with the K701... There have been times ooooh **** how good they sound and then the speakers was on... Have to be careful with air pressure levels though. Wonder if it can put to much strain on the headphone drivers with the extra pressure to deal with?

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 10
Agree with the K701 thing but what i am using are K601, so somewhat similar in a way, i still need to try it with just the subwoofer on to get only the bass. I'm hoping that would change things a bit on the better side.

On the thing about the real effect of bass being the effect itself is kinda true for most cinema and artificially amplified music, but with acoustic bass, you gotta hear. The music i was hearing with the speakers on were Tiesto stuff so it kinda blended well.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 10
I currently do the exact same thing...but on purpose.
I have my sub connected to PC sound card through SPDIF, and listen to IEMS.
It sends a signal to both speakers and headphones because of a glitch in the PC.
I disconnect my surround speakers completely, so I get crystal clear Mids and Highs, and feel things arround me shake. The bad thing is there is a slight delay of the sub hitting the bass note. Its only measurable in mil.sec. but reduces my enjoyment. I need to figure how I can get them synced perfectly.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modifiedz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bad thing is there is a slight delay of the sub hitting the bass note. Its only measurable in mil.sec. but reduces my enjoyment. I need to figure how I can get them synced perfectly.

Yes, as with the 2 experiences above it must of been out of sync. I've done it a few times and apart from the vibration it makes no difference in sound with my Ultrasones on... I've had a buttkicker setup on my chair before, it's good, well was good they break very easily, but it is unrealistic shake.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, as with the 2 experiences above it must of been out of sync. I've done it a few times and apart from the vibration it makes no difference in sound with my Ultrasones on... I've had a buttkicker setup on my chair before, it's good, well was good they break very easily, but it is unrealistic shake.

You have to turn BKs down since they clip very easily . . . you only want a small amount of vibration for music compared to games and movies.

The new BK Gamer 2 apparently has an improved amp -- I plan to upgrade mine when my 1st gen amp goes shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back